The 17th Maine Infantry served as members of DeTrobriand’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and a position marker.
Dedicated Oct. 3, 1889.
Location: Detrobriand Avenue, Wheatfield at the south end. The monument marks the position held by the 17th regiment during the afternoon of July 2, 1863. It stands at the spot where the colors of the regiment stood on July 2, 1863.
Description: A granite monument comprised of a four-course rock-faced shaft topped by a sculpted infantryman behind a stone wall. Inscriptions are incised in shaft and red granite diamonds are inset in the middle course. The monument is set on a two-tiered base. Monument is a 4.3 foot square granite shaft with alternating smooth and rough courses topped with a sculptured infantryman behind a stone wall and set on a 8.8×2.3 foot base. The shaft has inscriptions and a bronze inscription tablet. The flanking markers have slanted faces and are 1.6×1 foot. The position marker is six foot high on a 4.6×3.2 foot base.