De Trobriand’s Brigade Monument (3-1-3)

The Third Corps’ First Division’s Third Brigade is honored by a monument.

De Trobriand's Brigade Tablet. Gettysburg June 2012

Location: Located North of DeTrobriand Avenue at the Wheatfield, on Sickles Avenue.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
THIRD CORPS FIRST DIVISION
THIRD BRIGADE
Col. R Regis De Trobriand
17th Maine 3D 5th Michigan 40th New York
110th (6 Cos.) Pennsylvania Infantry

July 2. Arrived at 10 A. M. On the advance of the Division between 2 and 3 P. M. the Brigade took position in column between First and Second Brigades for support to either. The Third Michigan was sent to support First Brigade. The 17th Maine moved across the Wheatfield to the stone wall on the south. The 40th New York was sent to the gorge between the Devil’s Den and Little Round Top. The 5th Michigan and 11Oth Penna. held the summit commanding a ravine in front and east of the Rose buildings until relieved by two Brigades of Fifth Corps when they retired through the Wheatfield where being joined by 17th Maine they held back a superior Confederate force until the arrival of First Division Second Corps when ammunition being exhausted this portion of the Brigade retired and at night was joined by the other regiments.

July 3. In reserve.

Casualties Killed 4 Officers 71 Men Wounded 28 Officers 366 men Captured or Missing 21 Men Total 490

Advertisements

Ward’s Brigade Monument (3-1-2)

The Third Corps’ First Division’s Second Brigade is honored by a monument.

Monument to Ward's Brigade near Devil's Den. Gettysburg December 2011

Location: South portion of Sickles Avenue, above Devil’s Den.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
THIRD CORPS FIRST DIVISION
SECOND BRIGADE
Brig. Gen. J. H. Hobart Ward
Col. Hiram Berdan
20th Indiana 3d 4th Maine
86th 124th New York 99th Penna. Infantry
1st 2D (8 Cos.) U. S. Sharpshooters

July 1. Arrived after sunset and bivouacked for the night.

July 2. The Corps having relieved Second Division Twelfth Corps in the morning the Brigade took position on the left of the Division and extended to the base of Little Round top. Between 2 and 3 P. M. advanced with the Division to the line from the Peach Orchard to Devil’s Den occupying the left of the line to the west base of Little Round Top. The 1st U. S. Sharpshooters and 3D Maine were engaged in a reconnaissance into the woods in front of the Peach Orchard from noon until about 2 P. M. and then served with First Brigade at the Peach Orchard. The 6th New Jersey and 40th New York were sent to Brig. Gen. Ward and supported his left. Between 4 and 5 P. M. the Brigade was fiercely attacked by Brig. Gen. Robertson’s and Brig. Gen. Benning’s Brigades Major Gen. Hood’s Division and after a prolonged conflict was forced back.

July 3. In reserve.

Casualties Killed 12 Officers 117 Men Wounded 33 Officers 449 Men Captured or Missing 6 Officers 164 Men Total 781

Graham’s Brigade Monument (3-1-1)

The Third Corps’ First Division’s First Brigade is honored by a monument.

graham's brigade Gettysburg May 2009

Location: Located east side of Emmitsburg Road, south of United States Avenue.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
THIRD CORPS FIRST DIVISION
FIRST BRIGADE
Brig. Gen. Charles K. Graham
Col. Andrew H. Tippin
57th (8 Cos.) 63d 68th 105th 114th 141st
Pennsylvania Infantry

July 1. Arrived between 5 and 6 P. M.

July 2. The Corps having relieved Second Division Twelfth Corps in the morning the Brigade took position on the right of the Division connecting with Second Division on the right. Between 2 and 3 P. M. advanced to the Emmitsburg Road and took position at the Peach Orchard supported by 3D Maine 3D Michigan 2D New Hampshire and 7th New Jersey. About 3 P. M. artillery opened on the Confederate columns moving to the left and soon thereafter the Confederate artillery replied and later the Brigade was attacked by Major Gen. McLaws’s Division and forced back by superior numbers in front and on the flanks and at sunset it fell back with the Division. Brig. Gen. Graham was wounded and captured at the Peach Orchard.

July 3. The Brigade was in reserve during the day.

Casualties Killed 6 Officers 61 Men Wounded 45 Officers 463 Men Captured or Missing 6 Officers 159 Men Total 740

2nd United States Sharpshooters, Companies E & H (Vermont)

The 2nd United States Sharpshooters – Company E and H – served as members of  Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. These companies came from Vermont and are honored by a monument.

Monument to Companies E and H, Vermont Sharpshooters. Vermont Sharpshooters Company E and H Company E and H Vermont Sharpshooters Gettysburg June 2012

Location: Located on the south side of Slyder Farm Lane in the garden area. The monument marks the position of the 2nd Sharpshooters on July 2, 1863, as they faced a marching column of Confederates in Hood’s Division.

Description: Granite monolith with reliefs of Vermont State seal, crossed muskets, and a hornet’s nest on the front. The text inscription is set within a scrolled tablet on front of the monolith. The monolith sits atop a rough-hewn base. Overall height is ten foot. Sculptured relief of hornet’s nest, crossed muskets and Vermont seal is on the north face. Inscriptions are on the east and west faces.

2nd United States Sharpshooters, Company D (Maine)

The 2nd United States Sharpshooters – Company D – served as members of  Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. These companies came from Maine and are honored by a monument.

Maine Sharpshooters Monument/ Gettysburg August 2011

Dedicated Oct. 3, 1889.

Location: Granite Farm Lane, 1300 feet east of Emmitsburg Road. The monument marks the general location of the line held by the Maine Sharpshooters on July 2, 1863.

Description: The monument consists of a granite monolith with apex-top set on rough-faced granite base. Commemorative text incised on front. Monument is 2.6 foot square and 3.3 foot high on a rough hewn base that is 3.4 foot square. Overall height is 4.9 foot. An inscription is cut into the north face.

1st United States Sharpshooters, Company G (Wisconsin) (Position Marker)

The 1st United States Sharpshooters – Company G – served as members of  Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. These companies came from Wisconsin and are honored by a monument and a position stone.

Marker, Company G, 1st Wisconsin Sharpshooters. Gettysburg May 2010

Location: Emmitsburg Road, northwest of Rogers site. The position marker is west of the monument.

Description: Small stone marker denotes advanced position of the Wisconsin sharpshooters. Position marker is 1.6×1.2 foot with a flat top and inscription on the face.

1st United States Sharpshooters, Company G (Wisconsin)

The 1st United States Sharpshooters – Company G – served as members of  Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. These companies came from Wisconsin and are honored by a monument and a position stone.

Monument to Company G, 1st Wisconsin Sharpshooters. Gettysburg August 2011

Dedicated July 2, 1888.

Location: Located on the west side of Emmitsburg Road at the Rogers house site.  This company was deployed in skirmish line about 200 yards West of the Emmitsburg Road on July 2, 1863.

Description: A rough slab of red and white granite carved on the front with a relief depicting a kneeling sharpshooter holding his rifle at the ready. Monument is a rustic granite shaft with sculpted relief of a sharpshooter in a kneeling position set on a 6.3×2.3 foot rough-hewn base. It has a polished panel with an inscription on the base and an incised diamond on the west side. Overall height is eight feet. Monument includes commemorative era picket fencing.