The 17th Maine Infantry served as members of DeTrobriand’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and a position marker.
Dedicated Oct. 3, 1889.
Location: East side of Hancock Avenue, near the Pennsylvania Monument.
Description: Diamond-shaped sculpture with a square bottom stands on a low, rough-hewn base. The edges of the sculpture are also rough-hewn. There is a pink diamond with a polished surface set into the front face of the monument. Marks July 3 position in support of the 9th Michigan Artillery. Position marker, base 4’6″x3’2″, 6′ h.