The 19th Indiana Infantry served as members of Meredith’s Iron Brigade in Wadsworth’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated October 28, 1885. The base was added in 1904 when Meredith Avenue was built.
Location: Located south of Meredith Avenue at Reynolds Woods. The monument marks the position held by the 19th Indiana Infantry on the afternoon of July 1, 1863, where 288 troops went into action and were outflanked and driven back to the seminary, suffering 210 casualties.
Description: The monument consists of a Barre granite shaft decorated with a relief of the corps insignia and placed atop a tiered base made of Gettysburg granite. Inscriptions are cut into the sides and an inset corps insignia made of red granite is on the south face.