4th United States Artillery, Battery E

The 4th United States Artillery, Battery E served as members of Robertson’s Brigade of the  Army of the Potomac’s Cavalry Corps. The regiment is honored by a monument.

Battery E, 4th United States Artillery Monument. 4th united states artillery battery e Gettysburg December 2011

Erected between 1907 and 1908.

Location: Located in woods South of South Confederate Avenue at Bushman Hill, from whence its guns fired on South Cavalry Field.

Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
CAVALRY CORPS
FIRST BRIGADE HORSE ARTILLERY
BATTERY E FOURTH U. S. ARTILLERY
Four 3 Inch Rifles
Lieut. Samuel S. Elder Commanding

July 3. Arrived on the field and took position on a hill southwest of Round Top and engaged under Brig. General E. J. Fransworth in the afternoon against the Confederate right.

Casualties Killed 1 Man

Advertisements

2nd United States Artillery, Batteries B and L

The 2nd United States Artillery Battery B & L served as members of Robertson’s Brigade of the  Army of the Potomac’s Cavalry Corps. The regiment is honored by two monuments.

2nd United States Artillery Battery B and L Gettysburg October 2007

Erected between 1907 and 1908.

Location: Granite Schoolhouse Lane. Located south side of Granite Schoolhouse Lane, to commemorate artillery park on adjacent George Spangler Farm.

Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
CAVALRY CORPS
FIRST BRIGADE HORSE ARTILLERY
BATTERIES B & L SECOND U. S. ARTILLERY
Six 3 Inch Rifles
Lieut. Edward Heaton Commanding

July 2. Arrived at 5.30 A. M. In reserve during the day and at night withdrew two miles on the Baltimore Pike.

July 3. Advanced to former position in the morning and ordered to the Reserve Artillery and for a time exposed to a severe fire. In the evening was withdrawn to the position of the previous night.

 

2nd United States Artillery, Batteries B and L

The 2nd United States Artillery Battery B & L served as members of Robertson’s Brigade of the  Army of the Potomac’s Cavalry Corps. The regiment is honored by two monuments.

2nd united states artillery battery b and l Gettysburg December 2011

Erected between 1907 and 1908.

Location: Located north side of Pleasonton Avenue at the Hummelbaugh Farm. Locates position occupied by Heaton’s Battery of Regular 2nd Artillery during Battle of Gettysburg, July 1-3, 1863.

Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:

CAVALRY CORPS
FIRST BRIGADE HORSE ARTILLERY
BATTERIES B & L SECOND ARTILLERY
Six 3 Inch Rifles
Lieut. Edward Heaton Commanding

July 2. Arrived near the battlefield at 5.30 A. M. and reported to Major General Alfred Pleasonton who ordered the Battery to be held in reserve until near dark when it was moved back two miles on the Baltimore Pike for the night.

July 3. Moved to the front and was ordered to the position occupied the day before but being subject to the severe artillery fire the Battery was ordered to retire out of range and there remained until the close of the battle.

Pennsylvania Independent Artillery Battery C and F

The Pennsylvania Independent Artillery Batteries C and F are honored by a dual monument as well as separate monuments to each battery. Batteries C and F served as members of McGilvery’s Brigade of the  Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The battery is honored by one dual monument, and monuments to each individual battery.

1st Pennsylvania Artillery Battery C and F Gettysburg May 2010

Dedicated: July 3, 1885.

Location: Hancock Avenue.

Description: Commemorative bronze plaque is recessed into an upright smooth and rough-hewn marker. A shield emblem in relief is the central element of the plaque.  It was erected by surviving members of Hampton’s Battery and indicates the position held by Hampton’s Battery C & F when they assisted in the repulse of Longstreet’s Assault on July 3, 1863.

Pennsylvania Independent Artillery Battery C

The Pennsylvania Independent Artillery Batteries C and F are honored by a dual monument as well as separate monuments to each battery. Batteries C and F served as members of McGilvery’s Brigade of the  Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The battery is honored by one dual monument, and monuments to each individual battery.

Gettysburg 107 1st Pennsylvania Artillery Battery C and F Gettysburg June 2011

Installed between 1886 and 1893.

Location: Peach orchard, south of Wheatfield Road and east of Emmitsburg Road. It indicates the position held by Thompson’s Battery between 5:00 and 6:00 P.M. on July 2, 1863.

Description: A draped cannon stands on a rough-hewn base. Cannon balls and other accouterments are visible amid the drapery and behind the cannon’s wheel. A bronze State Seal is affixed to the lower half of the wheel. Monument is a sculptured likeness of a granite cannon draped with cloth and surrounded with balls set on a rough hewn base. The cloth on the west side of the cannon is polished and incised with an inscription. The east side of the cloth contains an inscription and bronze tablet with the state seal. Overall height is six feet. A cannon is set on the east and west sides of the monument.

3rd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery

The 3rd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery served as members of Tidball’s Brigade of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg and a tablet.

3rd pennsylvania artillery battery h

Dedicated: 1913.

Location: South Hancock Avenue. Located on west side of Hancock Avenue, south end.

Description: Iron War Department tablet. Marks position of Rank’s Cavalry Corps 3rd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery US Battery on July 3, 1863. Painted inscription tablet, 3’8″x3′. Mounted on fluted post, 4’4″ high. Tablet cast by Calvin Gilbert, founder.

Text,

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
CAVALRY CORPS
SECOND DIVISION FIRST BRIGADE
3RD PENNA. HEAVY ARTILLERY
SECTION BATTERY H
Two 3 Inch Rifles
Captain William D. Rank

July 2. Marched with the 2D Cavalry Division and went into position on the Hanover Road 3 miles from Gettysburg.

July 3. In position here in early morning and was engaged in the afternoon assisting in the repulse of Longstreet’s assault.

Loss Missing 1 Man

1st Pennsylvania Artillery, Battery B (Tablet)

The 1st Pennsylvania Artillery, Battery B served as members of Wainwright’s Brigade in the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments, a marker, and a position tablet at Gettysburg.

1st Pennsylvania Artillery Battery B (Cooper) Gettysburg September 2009

Location: Located west side of Hancock Avenue, south end.

Description: Standard iron war department tablet. Painted inscription tablet, 3’8″x3′. Mounted on a fluted post, 4’4″ high. Tablet cast by Calvin Gilbert, founder. Marks position of Cooper’s US Battery on July 3, 1863. It was erected in 1910. Text is as follows,

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIRST CORPS
FIRST VOLUNTEER BRIGADE
FIRST PENNA. LIGHT ARTILLERY
BATTERY B
Four 3 Inch Rifles
Captain James H. Cooper Commanding

July 3. Moved to this position from East Cemetery Hill at 3 P. M. during a heavy cannonade and opened fire upon a Confederate battery in front. In half an hour a line of Confederate infantry approached over the hill about 1000 yards distant. The Battery in connection with batteries in line fired case shot until the Confederates reached canister range a few charges of which compelled their retreat.

Casualties Killed 3 Men Wounded 1 Officer and 8 Men Total 12