Graham’s Brigade Monument (3-1-1)

The Third Corps’ First Division’s First Brigade is honored by a monument.

graham's brigade Gettysburg May 2009

Location: Located east side of Emmitsburg Road, south of United States Avenue.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
THIRD CORPS FIRST DIVISION
FIRST BRIGADE
Brig. Gen. Charles K. Graham
Col. Andrew H. Tippin
57th (8 Cos.) 63d 68th 105th 114th 141st
Pennsylvania Infantry

July 1. Arrived between 5 and 6 P. M.

July 2. The Corps having relieved Second Division Twelfth Corps in the morning the Brigade took position on the right of the Division connecting with Second Division on the right. Between 2 and 3 P. M. advanced to the Emmitsburg Road and took position at the Peach Orchard supported by 3D Maine 3D Michigan 2D New Hampshire and 7th New Jersey. About 3 P. M. artillery opened on the Confederate columns moving to the left and soon thereafter the Confederate artillery replied and later the Brigade was attacked by Major Gen. McLaws’s Division and forced back by superior numbers in front and on the flanks and at sunset it fell back with the Division. Brig. Gen. Graham was wounded and captured at the Peach Orchard.

July 3. The Brigade was in reserve during the day.

Casualties Killed 6 Officers 61 Men Wounded 45 Officers 463 Men Captured or Missing 6 Officers 159 Men Total 740

Advertisements

2nd United States Sharpshooters, Companies E & H (Vermont)

The 2nd United States Sharpshooters – Company E and H – served as members of  Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. These companies came from Vermont and are honored by a monument.

Monument to Companies E and H, Vermont Sharpshooters. Vermont Sharpshooters Company E and H Company E and H Vermont Sharpshooters Gettysburg June 2012

Location: Located on the south side of Slyder Farm Lane in the garden area. The monument marks the position of the 2nd Sharpshooters on July 2, 1863, as they faced a marching column of Confederates in Hood’s Division.

Description: Granite monolith with reliefs of Vermont State seal, crossed muskets, and a hornet’s nest on the front. The text inscription is set within a scrolled tablet on front of the monolith. The monolith sits atop a rough-hewn base. Overall height is ten foot. Sculptured relief of hornet’s nest, crossed muskets and Vermont seal is on the north face. Inscriptions are on the east and west faces.

2nd United States Sharpshooters, Company D (Maine)

The 2nd United States Sharpshooters – Company D – served as members of  Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. These companies came from Maine and are honored by a monument.

Maine Sharpshooters Monument/ Gettysburg August 2011

Dedicated Oct. 3, 1889.

Location: Granite Farm Lane, 1300 feet east of Emmitsburg Road. The monument marks the general location of the line held by the Maine Sharpshooters on July 2, 1863.

Description: The monument consists of a granite monolith with apex-top set on rough-faced granite base. Commemorative text incised on front. Monument is 2.6 foot square and 3.3 foot high on a rough hewn base that is 3.4 foot square. Overall height is 4.9 foot. An inscription is cut into the north face.

1st United States Sharpshooters, Company G (Wisconsin) (Position Marker)

The 1st United States Sharpshooters – Company G – served as members of  Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. These companies came from Wisconsin and are honored by a monument and a position stone.

Marker, Company G, 1st Wisconsin Sharpshooters. Gettysburg May 2010

Location: Emmitsburg Road, northwest of Rogers site. The position marker is west of the monument.

Description: Small stone marker denotes advanced position of the Wisconsin sharpshooters. Position marker is 1.6×1.2 foot with a flat top and inscription on the face.

1st United States Sharpshooters, Company G (Wisconsin)

The 1st United States Sharpshooters – Company G – served as members of  Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. These companies came from Wisconsin and are honored by a monument and a position stone.

Monument to Company G, 1st Wisconsin Sharpshooters. Gettysburg August 2011

Dedicated July 2, 1888.

Location: Located on the west side of Emmitsburg Road at the Rogers house site.  This company was deployed in skirmish line about 200 yards West of the Emmitsburg Road on July 2, 1863.

Description: A rough slab of red and white granite carved on the front with a relief depicting a kneeling sharpshooter holding his rifle at the ready. Monument is a rustic granite shaft with sculpted relief of a sharpshooter in a kneeling position set on a 6.3×2.3 foot rough-hewn base. It has a polished panel with an inscription on the base and an incised diamond on the west side. Overall height is eight feet. Monument includes commemorative era picket fencing.

1st United States Sharpshooters, Company F (Vermont)

The 1st United States Sharpshooters – Company F – served as members of  Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. These companies came from Vermont and are honored by a monument.

Vermont Sharpshooter Monument. Vermont Sharpshooters Company F Company F Vermont Sharpshooters Gettysburg September 2009

Dedicated Oct. 9, 1898.

Location: Located on the north end of Pitzer Woods north of Berdan Avenue. West of West Confederate Avenue. The monument marks the advanced site occupied by Co. F on the morning of July 2, 1863, when they advanced from the III Corps lines to the woods on the Fairfield (Millestown) Road, where they met Confederate skirmishes.

Description: Monument is a 4.5 foot-in-circumference Vermont marble shaft that is seventeen foot high topped with a sculptured eagle. The base is 5.9 foot square with inscriptions. A tall fluted Corinthian column topped by an eagle with wings spread.

1st United States Sharpshooters Company E AND Companies F&G, 2nd United States Sharpshooters

The 1st United States Sharpshooters – Company E – and the 2nd United States Sharpshooters – Company F and G – served as members of  Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. These companies came from New Hampshire and are honored by a monument.

new hampshire sharpshooters monument Gettysburg October 2007

Dedicated 1886.

Location: Located on Hancock Avenue near the intersection of Pleasonton Avenue.

Description: Rectangular sculpture in a horizontal composition with a relief of a uniformed infantry laying face down, propped up on his elbows and firing his musket. The sculpture and base have rough-hewn surfaces. The monument cost $700.00, of which $500.00 was paid by the state of New Hampshire. Monument is a two-part stepped granite shaft with excised inscription on the lower part and a reclining infantryman in bas-relief on the upper part. It is set on a 10.4×3.8 foot rough cut stone base. Flanking markers are 1.4x.6 foot with a polished and smooth finish and chamfered edges.