4th United States Artillery, Battery K

The 4th United States Artillery – Battery K served as members of Randolph’s Brigade in the Third Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.

4th united states artillery battery k Gettysburg May 2009

Erected between 1907 and 1908.

Location: Located on East side of Emmitsburg Road, South of Klingel Farm.  Locates positions occupied by Seeley’s Battery K, 4th US during Battle of Gettysburg, July 2, 1863.

Description:  One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:

 

Advertisements

1st Rhode Island Artillery, Battery E

The 1st Rhode Island Artillery – Battery E served as members of Randolph’s Brigade in the Third Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.

Arnold's Rhode Island Battery E on the Emmitsburg Road. 1st Rhode Island Artillery Battery E Gettysburg June 2011

Dedicated: July 2, 1886.

Location: East side of Emmitsburg Road, north of Wentz farmhouse foundation at Wheatfield Road. The monument marks the spot where the battery was moved on July 2, 1863, between 2:00 and 3:00 P.M. It fired on Confederate batteries in the woods on Warfield Ridge and later dueled with an advanced Confederate battery, possibly Taylor’s, until it was silenced by Randolph’s battery and a section of Ames’ Battery G, 1st New York.

Description:  A square granite monument incised on the front with an image of two crossed cannon tampers and a pile of cannon balls.

4th New York Independent Artillery Battery

The 4th New York Independent Artillery Battery served as members of Randolph’s Brigade in the Third Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by a monument at Gettysburg and a tablet at Gettysburg.

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC THIRD CORPS ARTILLERY BRIGADE FOURTH NEW YORK INDEPENDENT BATTERY Six 10 Pounder Parrots Capt. James E. Smith Commanding  July 2. Arrived from Emmitsburg at 9 A. M. Four guns posted on the height above Devil's Den at 2 P. M. Two guns in this position. After the capture of three of the guns in the advanced position and the repulse of their supports this section opened fire with great effect on the Confederate forces advancing up the valley. At 6 P. M. this section was moved to the right near Winslow's battery and subsequently to the rear.  July 3. Not engaged.  Killed 2 Men Wounded 10 Men Missing 1 Man  11 Horses Killed 240 Rounds of ammunition expended 4th new york independent artillery battery Gettysburg March 2010

Location: Located on the west side of Crawford Avenue.

Description:  Cast iron tablet with raised inscription painted in a contrasting color and mounted on fluted cast iron post. 4’4″ high. Cast by Calvin Gilbert. The inscription on the 3.8′ x 3.4′ tablet narrates the events associated with Battery during the Battle.

Text is as follows:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
THIRD CORPS ARTILLERY BRIGADE
FOURTH NEW YORK INDEPENDENT BATTERY
Six 10 Pounder Parrots
Capt. James E. Smith Commanding

July 2. Arrived from Emmitsburg at 9 A. M. Four guns posted on the height above Devil’s Den at 2 P. M. Two guns in this position. After the capture of three of the guns in the advanced position and the repulse of their supports this section opened fire with great effect on the Confederate forces advancing up the valley. At 6 P. M. this section was moved to the right near Winslow’s battery and subsequently to the rear.

July 3. Not engaged.

Killed 2 Men Wounded 10 Men Missing 1 Man

11 Horses Killed 240 Rounds of ammunition expended.

4th New York Independent Artillery Battery

The 4th New York Independent Artillery Battery served as members of Randolph’s Brigade in the Third Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by a monument at Gettysburg and a tablet at Gettysburg.

Smith's 4th New York Battery at Devil's Den. 4th New York Independent Artillery Battery Gettysburg December 2011

Dedicated: July 2, 1888.

Location: Sickles Avenue at Houcks Ridge, Devil’s Den. Marks position taken by four guns of Smith’s 4th New York Battery on July 2, 1863 when outflanked on left and forced to abandon three guns on field.

Description:  A standing figure of an artilleryman, sculpted by Caspar Burbel, with his proper right foot resting on a cannon tube and his proper right hand holding a cannon tamper vertically beside him. The sculpture stands atop a tall square base that is adorned on the front with a bronze inscription plaque and a bronze plaque depicting the corps insignia. The base is flanked by two cannons.  In February 1995, vandals used a rope tied around the figure’s neck to pull the sculpture off its base. The figure’s cannon tamper was bent at the seam, but park personnel repaired the damage by inserting a bronze pin into the hollow center. The sculpture was remounted in June 1995 with additional bronze pins to more firmly anchor the sculpture to the granite base. After the sculpture was remounted, it was cleaned and waxed, and the grout on the base was repointed. This monument was severely vandalized again on February 16, 2006. This time the bronze figure was destroyed. The figure was reconstructed and remounted in late 2011.

1st New York Artillery, Battery D

The 1st New York Artillery – Battery D served as members of Randolph’s Brigade in the Third Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.

The Wheatfield.  Monument to Winslow's New York Battery D. 1st New York Artillery Battery D Gettysburg December 2011

Dedicated: July 2, 1888.

Location: Located in the Wheatfield near the west end between Sickles Avenue and Wheatfield Road.  The monument marks the position of Battery D on July 2, 1863.

Description:  Monument that has two flanking markers and two bronze twelve-pound Napoleon cannons. Granite monument topped by a polished granite sphere. On the front of the monument is a bronze relief of a carriage wheel, two half-cannon tubes, bails and rammers, and bronze corps badge. The monument has a tiered base. Overall height is eleven foot. The shaft has a bronze state seal, carriage wheel, two half-cannon tubes, balls, rammers, and corps badges on the south side.

1st New Jersey Artillery, Battery B (Position Tablet)

The 1st New Jersey Artillery – Battery B served as members of Randolph’s Brigade in the Third Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg and a tablet at Gettysburg.

20120818-2012-08-18 at 10-08-05 - 2012-08-18 at 10-08-05

Location: Located West side Hancock Avenue, south end.

Description:  Iron War Department battery position tablet. Painted inscription tablet, 3’8″x3′. Mounted on fluted post, 4’4″ high. Tablet cast by Calvin Gilbert, founder. Text is as follows:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
THIRD CORPS
ARTILLERY BRIGADE
NEW JERSEY LIGHT ARTILLERY
2ND BATTERY
Six 10 Pounder Parrotts
Captain A. Judson Clark Commanding

July 2. Engaged in the action in a field near the Peach Orchard retired to the rear about 6.30 P. M. for want of support.

July 3. In line here with the Artillery Brigade during the heavy cannonading and the charge and repulse of Longstreet’s assault but was not engaged.

Casualties July 2nd Killed 1 Man Wounded 16 Men Missing 3 Men Total 20

1st New Jersey Artillery, Battery B

The 1st New Jersey Artillery – Battery B served as members of Randolph’s Brigade in the Third Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg and a tablet at Gettysburg.

1st New Jersey Artillery Battery B

Dedicated: June 30, 1888.

Location: Sickles Avenue, Excelsior Field off the Wheatfield Road. The monument marks the position of Clark’s Battery on July 2, 1863.

Description:  Granite monument with sculpted reliefs of napoleon tubes and sponge and rammers. The granite monument has a tapered top decorated with stars and is topped by a granite ball. Monument is a three foot square polished and smooth granite shaft topped with a conical cap and granite ball and set on a 5.2 foot square smooth base. The shaft contains incised inscriptions and sculptured half reliefs of napoleon tubes, sponge and rammers.