Lt. Col. William Brooke Rawle Memorial Flagpole

Lieut. Col. William Brooke Rawle served with the 3rd Pennsylvania Cavalry and later as part of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion.

Brooke Rawle Flagpole Gettysburg June 2012

Dedicated: 1909.

Location: Confederate Cavalry Avenue on the East Cavalry Field.

Description: Memorial flagpole; one of two on the battlefield. It was dedicated in 1909; 1915. The plaque was added in 1915. Painted, sectional steel flagpole w/ bronze plaque. 55′ tall, about 8″-10″ in diameter w/ ball finial at top. This flagpole was erected by the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS) to honor one of its members, William Brooke Rawle, a veteran of East Cavalry Battlefield and one of its most noted historians.

Advertisements

16th Vermont Infantry

The 16th Vermont Infantry served as members of Stannard’s Brigade in Doubleday’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.

16th Vermont

Dedicated Sept. 1892. Relocated 1907.

Location: Hancock Avenue, east side, near Pleasonton Avenue. The monument indicates the position held by the 16th Vermont Infantry on July 3, 1863 after being driven in from the skirmish line.  It was originally located in Cordori Thicket and was moved in 1907 at the request of the Honorable Kittredge Haskins.

Description: Rough-hewn marker with a rounded contains a relief of a United States shield. Monument is a rough cut and finished granite shaft and set on a 5.11×4.3 foot base that contains a bronze tablet on the front. The shaft has an incised inscription on an angle to the shaft and excised inscriptions and shield. Overall height is 9.1 feet.

14th Vermont Infantry

The 14th Vermont Infantry served as members of Stannard’s Brigade in Doubleday’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.

14th Vermont Gettysburg October 2012

Dedicated Oct. 19, 1899.

Location: Hancock Avenue, east side near Pleasonton Avenue. Monument marks the position held by the 14th Vermont Volunteers prior to its advance on July 3, 1863 to enfilade Wilcox and Perry as they advanced in support of Pickett.

Description: Monument is a 3.6 foot diameter cylindrical, polished granite shaft that tapers to a point and set on a 4.6 foot diameter base. The shaft contains incised inscriptions. Overall height is 14.6 feet.

13th Vermont Infantry (3rd Position)

The 13th Vermont Infantry served as members of Stannard’s Brigade in Doubleday’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and three position markers.

13th Vermont Marker. original (22680) Gettysburg June 2011

Dedicated 1896.

Location: Near main monument along Highwater Mark walk path. Located northwest of column honoring the brigade.

Description: One of three small stone position markers that denote the regiment’s movements during Pickett’s Charge.  Position markers are 1.6×1.8 foot with incised inscription.

13th Vermont Infantry (2nd Position)

The 13th Vermont Infantry served as members of Stannard’s Brigade in Doubleday’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and three position markers.

13th Vermont Regiment - Marker. Gettysburg November 2009

Dedicated 1896.

Location: Near main monument along Highwater Mark walk path. West of the column honoring the brigade.

Description: One of three small stone position markers that denote the regiment’s movements during Pickett’s Charge.  Position markers are 1.6×1.8 foot with incised inscription.

13th Vermont Infantry (1st Position)

The 13th Vermont Infantry served as members of Stannard’s Brigade in Doubleday’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and three position markers.

13th Vt. F.V. Randall, Colonel Right of Stannard's Brigade 1st Position 3d Day 2d 45 yds. in front Gettysburg November 2009

Dedicated 1896.

Location: Near main monument along Highwater Mark walk path. Northeast of column honoring the brigade.

Description: One of three small stone position markers that denote the regiment’s movements during Pickett’s Charge.  Position markers are 1.6×1.8 foot with incised inscription.

13th Vermont Infantry

The 13th Vermont Infantry served as members of Stannard’s Brigade in Doubleday’s Division of the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and three position markers.

Monument to the 13th Vermont Infantry. Gettysburg February 2012

Dedicated Oct. 19, 1899.

Location: Monument is located on the east side of Hancock Avenue. The memorial is installed in the position held by the 13th Vermont Infantry from the evening of July 2, 1863 until the close of the battle.

Description: A standing portrait of Lieutenant Stephen F. Brown with his proper left hand on his sword. On the ground by his proper right foot is the hatchet that he used in battle until he could appropriate a sword from a Confederate soldier. The sculpture rests atop a square granite base adorned with bronze inscription plaques. The shaft has an excised inscription, bronze tablets, and a medallion. Overall height is 16.4 feet. Designed by J. H. Walling. Lieutenant Stephen F. Brown was an officer in Company K. Brown was arrested on the march to Gettysburg for allowing his men to stop and fill his canteens. Restored to command on the battlefield, Brown’s sword had been sent to the rear. So Brown seized upon a hatchet instead. Brown is depicted holding a captured Confederate officer’s sword, the hatchet at his feet.