5th United States Artillery, Battery F

The 5th United States Artillery Battery F served as members of Tompkins’ Brigade in the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by a monument.

5th United States Artillery Battery F  Gettysburg February 2013

Erected between 1907 and 1908.

Location: Located in Ziegler’s Grove, west of the old Cyclorama building.  Locates position occupied by Martin’s Battery F, 5th U.S. Artillery, during final stages of Battle of Gettysburg.

Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SIXTH CORPS
ARTILLERY BRIGADE
BATTERY F FIFTH U. S. ARTILLERY
Six 10 Pounder Parrotts
Lieut. Leonard Martin Commanding

July 2. Arrived in the afternoon with the Corps and held in reserve.

July 3. Brought up to Ziegler’s Grove in rear of Third Division Second Corps on the repulse of Longstreet’s assault.

Advertisements

2nd United States Artillery, Battery M

The 2nd United States Artillery Battery M served as members of Tompkins’ Brigade in the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by a monument.

2nd United States Artillery Battery M Gettysburg May 2009

Erected between 1907 and 1908.

Location: Located East Cavalry Field east side of U.S. Cavalry Avenue. Locates position occupied by Pennington’s Battery during Battle of Gettysburg, July 3, 1863.

Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
CAVALRY CORPS
FIRST BRIGADE HORSE ARTILLERY
BATTERY M SECOND U. S. ARTILLERY
Six 3 Inch Rifles
Lieut. A. C. M. Pennington Commanding

July 2. Engaged with the Confederates at Hunterstown.

July 3. Engaged in Brig. General Custer’s Brigade with Major General J. E. B. Stuart’s Confederate Cavalry on the right of the Union Army.

Casualties Wounded 1 Officer

2nd United States Artillery, Battery G

The 2nd United States Artillery Battery G served as members of Tompkins’ Brigade in the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by a monument.

2nd United States Artillery Battery g Gettysburg April 2011

Erected between 1907 and 1908.

Location: Located on east side of Hancock Avenue in Ziegler’s Grove.

Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SIXTH CORPS
ARTILLERY BRIGADE
BATTERY G SECOND U. S. ARTILLERY
Six 12 Pounders
Lieut. John H. Butler Commanding

July 2. Arrived in the afternoon with the Corps and held in Reserve.

July 3. Brought up to Ziegler’s Grove in rear of Third Division Second Corps on repulse of Longstreet’s assault.

2nd United States Artillery, Battery D

The 2nd United States Artillery Battery D served as members of Tompkins’ Brigade in the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The battery is honored by a monument.

2nd united states artillery battery d Gettysburg December 2007

Erected between 1907 and 1908.

Location: East side of Taneytown Road, between Wheatfield Road and Granite Schoolhouse Lane.  Generally locates position occupied by Williston’s Regular Battery in park & reserve during Battle of Gettysburg, July 2-3, 1863.

Description: One of 45 monuments erected to units of the United States regular army on the battlefield. A red polished Jonesboro granite monolith that is set upon a concrete foundation with a descriptive 3’6’x3’7′ bronze tablet with the coat of arms of the United States in bronze. Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SIXTH CORPS
ARTILLERY BRIGADE
BATTERY D SECOND U. S. ARTILLERY
Four Light 12 Pounders
Lieut. Edward B. Williston Commanding

July 2. Arrived with the Corps and took position and remained on Taneytown Road.

Not Engaged

1st Rhode Island Artillery, Battery B

The 1st Rhode Island Artillery Battery B served as members of Hazard’s Brigade in the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and a position stone.

1st Rhode Island Artillery Battery B Gettysburg May 2010

Location: Rocky knoll in advance of Cemetery Ridge and clump of trees. This monument is located approximately 500 yards west of the monument on a small knoll.

Description: Small stone position marker denotes the advanced position of Battery B during the battle. Position marker is 1.2×9 foot.

1st Rhode Island Artillery, Battery B

The 1st Rhode Island Artillery Battery B served as members of Hazard’s Brigade in the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument and a position stone.

1st rhode island artillery battery b Gettysburg April 2011

Dedicated: Oct. 12, 1886.

Location: Hancock Avenue, east side. The sculpture is sited on the position held by Battery B, 1st Rhode Island Artillery on July 3, 1863 during the cannonade and Longstreet’s Assault. It is also the location of the “Gettysburg Gun” incident in which a charge became permanently fixed in a cannon muzzle as a result of being struck by Confederate shell.

Description: Monument is a three-part granite shaft with alternating smooth and rough cut topped with a rough cut cube and set on a rough cut 3.7 foot square base. The shaft has a finished center with incised lettering on the front and rear. Overall height is 8.6 feet. Position marker is 1.2×9 foot.

1st Rhode Island Artillery, Battery A

The 1st Rhode Island Artillery Battery A served as members of Hazard’s Brigade in the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.

1st Rhode Island Artillery Battery E Gettysburg April 2011

Dedicated: Oct. 12, 1886.

Location: Hancock Avenue, west side, north of the Angle. The monument indicates the position held by Arnold’s Battery A on the morning of July 2, 1863. On July 3, the battery expended every round of solid shot except canister, and as Longstreet’s assault bore in on their position the artillerymen also exhausted their supply of canister. The battery was withdrawn to avoid capture.

Description: Tapered monument stands on a rough-hewn base. Polished imaged on the front is a wheel with crossed rammers and an anchor with the Rhode Island motto, “Hope.” The finial is an elongated trefoil, the corps insignia. Monument is a two-part stepped granite shaft with a trefoil design on the cap and set on a 4.6 foot square base. The shaft has incised inscriptions on the north and south sides and a polished granite crest on the east face framed by an incised inscription.