Pennsylvania Independent Artillery Battery F

The Pennsylvania Independent Artillery Batteries C and F are honored by a dual monument as well as separate monuments to each battery. Batteries C and F served as members of McGilvery’s Brigade of the  Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The battery is honored by one dual monument, and monuments to each individual battery.

Monument to Hampton's Pennsylvania Battery C and F. duplicate (20395) duplicate (20394) 1st Pennsylvania Artillery Battery C and F Gettysburg April 2011

Installed between 1889 and 1893.

Location: Peach orchard, south of Wheatfield Road and east of Emmitsburg Road. It indicates the position held by Hampton’s Battery between 5:00 and 6:00 P.M. on July 2, 1863.

Description: Full-length uniformed artilleryman stands on a tapered pedestal and base. The figure holds a long rammer in both hands in a diagonal position, the tip poised above his proper left shoulder. There is an elaborate relief seal on the front of the pedestal. The main feature is a 6′ tall bronze statue of an artilleryman holding a rammer. The base of the monument is made of Westerly granite. The statue was sculpted by Murrary Hamilton.

Advertisements

Pennsylvania Independent Artillery Battery C and F

The Pennsylvania Independent Artillery Batteries C and F are honored by a dual monument as well as separate monuments to each battery. Batteries C and F served as members of McGilvery’s Brigade of the  Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The battery is honored by one dual monument, and monuments to each individual battery.

1st Pennsylvania Artillery Battery C and F Gettysburg May 2010

Dedicated: July 3, 1885.

Location: Hancock Avenue.

Description: Commemorative bronze plaque is recessed into an upright smooth and rough-hewn marker. A shield emblem in relief is the central element of the plaque.  It was erected by surviving members of Hampton’s Battery and indicates the position held by Hampton’s Battery C & F when they assisted in the repulse of Longstreet’s Assault on July 3, 1863.

Pennsylvania Independent Artillery Battery C

The Pennsylvania Independent Artillery Batteries C and F are honored by a dual monument as well as separate monuments to each battery. Batteries C and F served as members of McGilvery’s Brigade of the  Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The battery is honored by one dual monument, and monuments to each individual battery.

Gettysburg 107 1st Pennsylvania Artillery Battery C and F Gettysburg June 2011

Installed between 1886 and 1893.

Location: Peach orchard, south of Wheatfield Road and east of Emmitsburg Road. It indicates the position held by Thompson’s Battery between 5:00 and 6:00 P.M. on July 2, 1863.

Description: A draped cannon stands on a rough-hewn base. Cannon balls and other accouterments are visible amid the drapery and behind the cannon’s wheel. A bronze State Seal is affixed to the lower half of the wheel. Monument is a sculptured likeness of a granite cannon draped with cloth and surrounded with balls set on a rough hewn base. The cloth on the west side of the cannon is polished and incised with an inscription. The east side of the cloth contains an inscription and bronze tablet with the state seal. Overall height is six feet. A cannon is set on the east and west sides of the monument.

15th New York Artillery Independent Battery (Position Tablet)

The 15th New York Artillery Independent Battery served as members of McGilvery’s Brigade of the  Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The battery is honored by a monument and a position tablet.

Monument to Hart's 15th New York Artillery Battery. 15th new york independent artillery battery Gettysburg August 2012

Location: Located west side Hancock Avenue, south end.

Description: Iron War Department position tablet denotes location of the battery during the July 2 battle. Painted inscription tablet, 3’8″x3′. Mounted on fluted post 4’4″ high. Cannon located at left and right of tablet. Tablet cast by Calvin Gilbert, founder.

Text is as follows:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIRST BRIGADE ARTILLERY RESERVE
NEW YORK LIGHT ARTILLERY
15TH BATTERY
Four 12 Pounders
Captain Patrick Hart Commanding

July 2. Engaged in the Peach Orchard retired about dark and reported to Brig. General R. O. Tyler Artillery Reserve.

July 3. Ordered early to the front and took position in the Battalion on the left of Battery E. 5th Massachusetts. Directed by Maj. General Hancock to open on the Confederate batteries with solid shot and shell. Upon the advance of the Confederate infantry fired shell and shrapnel and canister when the line was within 500 yards. A second line advancing was met with double canister which dispersed it. The fire of the Battery was then directed against the artillery on the Confederate right and several caissons and limbers were exploded by the shells.

July 4. Remained in this position until noon.

Casualties Killed 3 Men Wounded 2 Officers and 11 Men Total 16

15th New York Artillery Independent Battery

The 15th New York Artillery Independent Battery served as members of McGilvery’s Brigade of the  Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The battery is honored by a monument and a position tablet.

15th New York Independent Artillery Battery Gettysburg December 2010

Dedicated: July 2, 1888.

Location: Wheatfield Road west of the junction with Sickles Avenue. The monument marks the position of Hart’s New York Battery on the afternoon of July 2, 1863 when supporting Sickles’ Third Corps line.

Description: Sculpted relief of an artilleryman standing holding a rammer in front of a cannon wheel. A state seal tondo is behind him. The monument sits on a rough-hewn base. Monument is a sculpted granite relief of an artilleryman and cannon set on a 6.6×3.9 foot rough hewn base. The south side contains a bronze state seal while a bronze inscription tablet inset appears on the north face. Overall height is 7.6 foot. Flanking markers are one foot square with apex tops and inscriptions.

10th New York Artillery Independent Battery

The 10th New York Artillery Independent Battery served as members of McGilvery’s Brigade of the  Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The unit did not have an individual designation and served as part of the 5th Massachusetts Battery. The battery is honored by a monument.

10th new york independent artillery battery Gettysburg October 2007

Dedicated: July 1893.

Location: North side of Wheatfield Road east of the junction with Sickles Avenue near the Peach Orchard. The monument indicates the first position held by the 10th New York Battery on July 3, 1863.

Description: Rough-hewn monolith on a low base contains a relief tondo at top depicting the State Seal and a plaque describing the mustering history of the regiment. Monument is a granite monolith mounted with a bronze inscription tablet and tondo of the state coat of arms and set on a 4.3×3.3 foot rough hewn base. Overall height is 7.8 foot.

9th Massachusetts Artillery Battery (Ziegler’s Grove)

The 9th Massachusetts Artillery Battery served as members of McGilvery’s Brigade of the  Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The regiment is honored by a monument and two position markers.

Monument to the 9th Massachusetts Artillery Battery. original (22939) Gettysburg June 2011

Installed 1885.

Location: North Hancock Avenue, Ziegler’s Grove.

Description: Dedicated 1885. The monument marks the third position held by the remains of Bigelow’s Battery on July 3, 1863. A rough slab of granite carved with a relief depicting a soldier’s backpack. Monument is a rough cut granite shaft with detail of an artillery ammo pouch and inscriptions. Overall height is 4.8 foot.