110th Pennsylvania Infantry

The 110th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment served as members of  De Trobriand’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.

Full-length uniformed infantryman stands on a four-course pedestal and tiered base. The figure holds his rifle vertically with his hands around the barrel. Decorative elements on the pedestal include Doric columns and a diamond corps insignia. A State Seal is affixed to the upper tier of the base. It indicates the position held by the 110th Pennsylvania Infantry from 4:00 to 6:00 on the afternoon of on July 2, 1863. Gettysburg August 2008  StarX.

Dedicated: Sept. 11, 1889.

Location: Located on the southeast side of DeTrobriand Avenue at the edge of Rose Woods. It indicates the position held by the 110th Pennsylvania Infantry from 4:00 to 6:00 on the afternoon of on July 2, 1863 when it successfully halted the advance of CS through the woods.

Description: Full-length uniformed infantryman stands on a four-course pedestal and tiered base. The figure holds his rifle vertically with his hands around the barrel. Decorative elements on the pedestal include Doric columns and a diamond corps insignia. A State Seal is affixed to the upper tier of the base. Monument is a 2.10 foot, three layered granite shaft topped with a statue of an infantryman set on a 5.6 foot square double base. Overall height is 13.6 foot. The shaft has polished panels with inscriptions on all sides and four pilasters. The flanking markers are flat topped with a raised inscription, one foot square.

Advertisements

5th Michigan Infantry

The 5th Michigan Infantry Regiment served as members of De Trobriand’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.

Monument to the 5th Michigan Infantry Gettysburg October 2012

Installed Nov. 27, 1888. Dedicated June 12, 1889.

Location: Located on the north side of Sickles Avenue near the Loop and Wheatfield. It marks the position held by the 5th Michigan regiment on July 2, 1863, around 4:30 p.m.

Description: Granite monument with relief of an infantryman holding his musket on the front, and bronze state shield below. Monument is a 4×2.7 foot hammered and smooth granite shaft set on a 6.3×4.11 foot rough hewn base resting on a boulder. The shaft has a sculpted relief of an infantryman loading his musket and a bronze state seal on the south side. A historical inscription is incised on the north face.

3rd Michigan Infantry

The 3rd Michigan Infantry Regiment served as members of De Trobriand’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.

3rd Michigan Infantry Monument. Gettysburg September 2011

Dedicated: June 12, 1889.

Location: Located at the southeast corner of the Peach Orchard at Birney Avenue. It marks the position held by the 3rd Michigan Infantry on July 2, 1863, in the evening.

Description: Granite monument with relief of two soldiers on front. Both soldiers are dressed in uniform. One is kneeling, holding a rifle with both hands. The other stands behind him in a wooded scene. Above them, at the top of the monument, is a bronze Michigan shield. Monument is a granite shaft set on a rough hewn base. Inscription panels appear on the south and north sides of the base. The shaft contains a sculpted relief of two infantrymen in action on the south face and a bronze state seal shield attached to the top of the cap. Overall height is 11.10 foot. Flanking markers are apex topped with inscriptions on the faces, one foot square.