Brooke’s Brigade Monument (2-1-4)

The Second Corps’ First Division’s Fourth Brigade is honored by a monument.

Monument to Brooke's Brigade. Gettysburg May 2010

Location: Located on east side of Brooke Avenue in Rose Grove.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SECOND CORPS FIRST DIVISION
FOURTH BRIGADE
Col. John R. Brooke
27th Connecticut (2 Cos.)
2D Delaware 64th NewYork
53D 145th (7 Cos.) Pennsylvania Infantry

July 2. Arrived early in the morning took position on the line from Cemetery Hill to Round Top and was the right Brigade of Division. Between 5 and 6 P. M. went with Division to Wheatfield and advanced in reserve until the Division had forced back the Confederates to the further end when the Brigade advanced on the left of Third Brigade across a marsh to crest of a wooded hill. The Union line along the Emmitsburg Road having soon thereafter been forced back by Brig. Gen. Semmes’ Brig. Gen. Kershaw’s and Brig. Gen. Wofford’s Brigades which advanced in front and on the left flank the Brigade retired with the Division and resumed its former place in Corps line.

July 3. Constructed entrenchments and remained in former position until the close of the battle.

Casualties Killed 8 Officers 46 Men Wounded 38 Officers 246 Men Captured or Missing 51 Men Total 389

Advertisements

Zook’s Brigade Monument (2-1-3)

The Second Corps’ First Division’s Third Brigade is honored by a monument.

Monument to Brig. Gen. Samuel Zook's Brigade of the 2nd Corps (1st Division, 3rd Brigade). Gettysburg December 2011

Location: Located on Sickles Avenue, east of the Loop.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SECOND CORPS FIRST DIVISION
THIRD BRIGADE
Brig. Gen. Samuel K. Zook
Lieut. Col. John Fraser
52D 57th 66th New York
140th Pennsylvania Infantry

July 2. Arrived early in the morning and formed on right of Second Brigade on line from Cemetery Hill to Round Top. Between 5 and 6 P. M. advanced with Division to left and entered the Wheatfield and the woods on its right in line of battle forcing the Confederates through the field and the woods to the further end. Brig. Gen. Zook fell mortally wounded in this advance the Brigade being on the right of Division it extended to an open field on the west. The line of Third Corps on the Emmitsburg Road having been forced back and the Division having been flanked by superior forces on its right and left the Brigade retired with the Division and resumed in line with Corps.

July 3. Constructed entrenchment and held the position until the close of battle.

Casualties Killed 7 Officers 42 Men Wounded 18 Officers 209 Men Captured or Missing 4 Officers 78 Men Total 358

Kelly’s Brigade Monument (2-1-2)

The Second Corps’ First Division’s Second Brigade is honored by a monument.

Monument to Kelly's Irish Brigade at the Loop. Gettysburg April 2011

Location: Sickles Avenue, near the Loop.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SECOND CORPS FIRST DIVISION
SECOND BRIGADE
Col. Patrick Kelly
28th Massachusetts
63D (2 Cos.) 69th (2 Cos.) 88th (2 Cos.) New York
116th (4 Cos.) Pennsylvania Infantry

July 2. Arrived at 7 A. M. and took position on line from Cemetery Hill to Round Top at right of First Brigade. Between 5 and 6 P. M. went with Division to left First Brigade on the left Third Brigade on right. Engaged the Confederate forces including Brig. Gen. Anderson’s Brigade Major Gen. Hood’s Division in the Wheatfield and forced them through the field southerly into woods beyond capturing many prisoners. The Fourth Brigade having advanced on the left this Brigade held its position until the Division being flanked on right and left retired and resumed former position in line of the Corps.

July 3. Constructed breastworks and remained entrenched until the close of the battle.

Casualties Killed 1 Officer 26 Men Wounded 4 Officers 105 Men Captured or Missing 2 Officers 60 Men Total 198

Cross’ Brigade Monument (2-1-1)

The Second Corps’ First Division’s First Brigade is honored by a monument.

Edward Cross Brigade Monument  Gettysburg September 2013

Location: East side of Ayres Avenue, in Rose Grove.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SECOND CORPS FIRST DIVISION
FIRST BRIGADE
Col. Edward E. Cross Col. H. Boyd McKeen
5th New Hampshire 61st New York
81st 148th Pennsylvania Infantry

July 2. Arrived about 7 A. M. and was massed in woods at left and rear of the line of Corps and at 10 A. M. took position forming the left of Division in column of regiments. Between 5 and 6 P. M. moved with Division to the support of Third Corps forming line of battle along a stone wall at the rear and east of the Wheatfield and advanced against the Confederate forces in the Wheatfield and in the woods at left forcing them back to the farther end of the Wheatfield and taking many prisoners when the ammunition being exhausted the Brigade was relieved by part of Second Division Fifth Corps and Second Brigade First Division Fifth Corps and retired to the stone wall and finally with Division to former position in line with Corps. Col. Cross fell mortally wounded early in the engagement.

July 3. Constructed breastworks early in the morning which gave protection from the cannonade in the afternoon. Remained in position until the close of the battle.

Casualties Killed 2 Officers 55 Men Wounded 22 Officers 238 Men Captured or Missing 13 Men Total 330

148th Pennsylvania Infantry (Second Monument)

The 148th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment served as members of Cross’ Brigade in Caldwell’s Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments.

148th Pennsylvania Gettysburg September 2009

Dedicated: Sept. 11, 1889.

Location: Located in Wheatfield, West of Ayres Avenue. The location of the monument marks the position held by regiment on the afternoon of July 2, 1863.

Description: Granite monument with trefoil reliefs, four corner columns, cap with relief shields, topped by finial of infantry accouterments, including draped drum and rifle. Flank markers have rough bases 4’11″x2’10″; shafts with trefoil top, 4’1″x2’3″.

148th Pennsylvania Infantry

The 148th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment served as members of Cross’ Brigade in Caldwell’s Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by two monuments.

148th pennsylvania Gettysburg May 2010

Dedicated: Sept. 11, 1889.

Location: Located in Wheatfield, West of Ayres Avenue. The location of the monument marks the position held by regiment on the afternoon of July 2, 1863.

Description: Granite monument with trefoil reliefs, four corner columns, cap with relief shields, topped by finial of infantry accouterments, including draped drum and rifle. Flank markers have rough bases 4’11″x2’10″; shafts with trefoil top, 4’1″x2’3″.

145th Pennsylvania Infantry

The 145th Pennsylvania Infantry served as members of Brooke’s Brigade in Caldwell’s Division of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.

Monument to the 145th Pennsylvania Infantry. Gettysburg February 2009

Dedicated: Sept. 11, 1889.

Location: It indicates the position held by the 145th Pennsylvania Infantry when driving the Confederates of Kershaw’s Brigade from the edge of the wheat field. They were only able to hold the position for a short time before becoming outflanked and forced to retire. Located on the north side of Brooke Avenue in Rose Woods. The monument marks the advance position held by the 53rd Pennsylvania Infantry on the late afternoon of July 2nd, 1863.

Description: Full-length uniformed infantryman stands atop a tapered pedestal and base. The figure is in a combat stance, holding his musket upright in both hands. A bronze relief of the State Seal is affixed to the front of the pedestal, directly below the figure. There is also a trefoil corps insignia on the right face of the pedestal. Monument is a 3.4×2.4 foot granite shaft topped with a bronze statue of an infantryman with a musket set on a 6.5 foot square hammered base. Overall height is 10.9 foot. The shaft has incised inscriptions and the state coat of arms on the south side. The flanking markers are flat topped one foot square with inscriptions of the faces.