The 2nd New Hampshire Infantry Regiment served as members of Burling’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: July 2, 1886.
Location: Located on the southwest corner of the Peach Orchard near the junction of Birney Avenue and Emmitsburg Road. The monument marks the advance position taken by the 2nd New Hampshire Infantry on the afternoon of July 2, 1863.
Description: Granite cone-shaped monument with reliefs of muskets at edges with muzzles pointing toward the apex, and diamond shapes below rifle butt. The monument is set upon a three-tiered base, the top polished level has text inscriptions. Monument is a 3.3 foot square smooth granite shaft with an apex top that contains reliefs of muskets pointing up at the edges and set on a 6.2 foot square rough hewn base. There are inscriptions in the base. Overall height is 11.4 feet. Flanking markers are 1.2 foot square, polished with inscriptions of which the right marker has an apex top and the left marker has a flat top.
The 3rd Michigan Infantry Regiment served as members of De Trobriand’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: June 12, 1889.
Location: Located at the southeast corner of the Peach Orchard at Birney Avenue. It marks the position held by the 3rd Michigan Infantry on July 2, 1863, in the evening.
Description: Granite monument with relief of two soldiers on front. Both soldiers are dressed in uniform. One is kneeling, holding a rifle with both hands. The other stands behind him in a wooded scene. Above them, at the top of the monument, is a bronze Michigan shield. Monument is a granite shaft set on a rough hewn base. Inscription panels appear on the south and north sides of the base. The shaft contains a sculpted relief of two infantrymen in action on the south face and a bronze state seal shield attached to the top of the cap. Overall height is 11.10 foot. Flanking markers are apex topped with inscriptions on the faces, one foot square.
The 3rd Maine Infantry served as members of Ward’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac. The regiment is honored by a monument, a secondary monument, and a position stone.
Dedicated: October 3, 1889.
Location: Southwest corner of Sherfy Peach Orchard. The monument marks the line held by the 3rd Maine Infantry in the Sherfy Peach Orchard, on the afternoon of July 2, 1863.
Description: Granite monument, primarily rock-faced with inscriptions incised into smooth-faced panels on sides of shaft. The monument has a tapering shaft and diamond-shaped finial and is set atop a two-tiered base. Monument is a 2.6 foot tapering granite shaft that is 8.1 foot high and topped with an inverted 3rd Corps Diamond Lozenge set on a 5.5×1.6 foot rough hewn base. The shaft has polished inscription panels on the north and south sides. Overall height is 13.1 foot. Flanking markers are one foot square.