Fitzhugh’s Brigade Monument (AR-4V)

The Artillery Reserve’s Fourth Volunteer Brigade is honored by a monument.

Fitzhugh's Brigade Monument.  Gettysburg February 2013

Location: Located east side of Hancock Avenue near The Angle.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
ARTILLERY RESERVE
FOURTH VOLUNTEER BRIGADE
Capt. Robert H. Fitzhugh

6th Maine Battery F
Lieut. Edwin B. Dow

July 2 and 3. With First Volunteer Artillery Brigade near left of Second Corps line.

Maryland Battery A
Capt. James H. Rigby

July 2 and 3. Engaged on Powers Hill.

1st New Jersey Battery
Lieut. Augustin N. Parsons

July 3. Engaged on line of Second Division Second Corps.

1st New York Battery G
Capt. Nelson Ames

July 2. Engaged in Peach Orchard.

July 3. Engaged on left of Second Corps line.

1st New York Battery K (11th New York Attached)
Capt. Robert H. Fitzhugh

July 3. Engaged on Second Corps line.

Casualties Killed 2 Men Wounded 34 Men Total 36

Advertisements

Huntington’s Brigade Monument (AR-3V)

The Artillery Reserve’s Third Volunteer Brigade is honored by a monument.

Monument to Huntington's Brigade Gettysburg February 2012

Location: National Cemetery, along upper drive.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
ARTILLERY RESERVE
THIRD VOLUNTEER BRIGADE
Capt. James F Huntington

1st New Hampshire Battery
Capt. Frederick M. Edgell

July 2 and 3. Engaged on Cemetery Hill.

1st Ohio Battery H
Lieut. George W. Norton

July 2 and 3. Engaged on Cemetery Hill.

1st Penna. Batteries F and G
Capt. R. Bruce Ricketts

July 2 and 3. Engaged on East Cemetery Hill.

West Virginia Battery C
Capt. Wallace Hill

July 2 and 3. Engaged on Cemetery Hill.

Casualties Killed 10 Men Wounded 1 Officer 23 Men Captured or Missing 3 Men Total 37

Taft’s Brigade Monument (AR-2V)

The Artillery Reserve’s Second Volunteer Brigade is honored by a monument.

Taft's Brigade Monument on West Cemetery Hill. Gettysburg September 2009

Location: West side of Baltimore Pike at East Cemetery Hill, Evergreen Cemetery.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
ARTILLERY RESERVE
SECOND VOLUNTEER BRIGADE
Capt. Elijah D. Taft

1st Conn. Heavy Battery B
Capt. Albert F. Brooker
Not engaged

1st Conn. Heavy Battery M
Capt. Franklin A. Pratt
Not engaged

2D Conn. Battery
Capt. John W. Sterling

July 2. Reinforced Third Corps line and late in the day retired and formed line under Lieut. Col. F. McGilvery on left of Second Corps.

5th New York Battery
Capt. Elijah D. Taft

July 2 and 3. Engaged on Cemetery Hill.

Casualties Killed 1 Man Wounded 5 Men Captured or Missing 2 Men Total 8

McGilvery’s Brigade Monument (AR-1V) (Plum Run Line)

The Artillery Reserve’s First Volunteer Brigade is honored by two monuments.

McGilvery's Brigade Gettysburg December 2011

Location: South Hancock Avenue. Located West side of Hancock Avenue near United States Avenue.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
ARTILLERY RESERVE
FIRST VOLUNTEER BRIGADE
Lieut. Col. Freeman McGilvery

5th Mass. Battery E (10th New York Attached)
Capt. Charles A. Phillips

July 2. Engaged on Third Corps line on the Wheatfield Road.

9th Mass. Battery
Capt. John Bigelow Lieut. Richard S. Milton

July 2. Engaged on Third Corps line on the Wheatfield Road.

July 3. In Ziegler’s Grove.

15th New York Battery
Capt. Patrick Hart

July 2. Engaged on Third Corps line on the Wheatfield Road.

July 3. On Second Corps line south of Pleasonton Avenue.

Penna. Batteries C and F
Capt. James Thompson

July 2. Engaged in Peach Orchard.

July 3. On line with Battery K 4th U. S. on right and Hart’s Battery on left.

Casualties Killed 1 Officer 16 Men Wounded 10 Officers 61 Men Captured or Missing 5 Men Total 93

McGilvery’s Brigade Monument (AR-1V) (Excelsior Field)

The Artillery Reserve’s First Volunteer Brigade is honored by two monuments.

McGilvery's Brigade Gettysburg February 2009

Location: North side of Wheatfield Road at Excelsior Field.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
ARTILLERY RESERVE
FIRST VOLUNTEER BRIGADE
Lieut. Col. Freeman McGilvery
5th Mass. Battery E
(10th New York Battery Attached)
Capt. Charles Phillips
9th Mass. Battery
Capt. John Bigelow Lieut. Richard S. Milton
15th NewYork Battery
Capt. Patrick Hart
Batteries C and F Penna.
Capt. James Thompson

July 2. Went into action at 3.30 P. M. on this road Batteries C and F Penna. on the right in the Peach Orchard line facing west. About 5 P. M. opened and repulsed a heavy column of infantry charging the Brigade. About 6 P. M. the Confederates gained position on the left and the infantry fell back leaving the artillery without support. Four batteries fell back 250 yards and renewed their fire. Battery B 1st New Jersey and 15th New York Battery retired from the field. The advanced line of the 3rd Corps having been abandoned the Artillery Brigade took up a new position 400 yards in the rear and opened on the enemy with canister and at 8 P. M. retired to the battle line of the army.

Ransom’s Brigade Monument (AR-1R)

The Artillery Reserve’s First Regular Brigade is honored by a monument.

Monument to Ransom's Brigade. Gettysburg March 2012

Location: Located west side of Hancock Avenue near Pennsylvania Memorial.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
ARTILLERY RESERVE
FIRST REGULAR BRIGADE
Capt. Dunbar R. Ransom

1st U. S. Battery H
Lieut. Chandler P. Eakin Lieut. Philip D. Mason

July 2. And 3. Engaged on Cemetery Hill.

3D U. S. Batteries F and K
Lieut. John G. Turnbull

July 2. Engaged on Emmitsburg Road on right of the Smith House.

July 3. On and near Cemetery Ridge.

4th U. S. Battery C
Lieut. Evan Thomas

July 2 and 3. Engaged on Cemetery Ridge on left of Second Corps.

5th U. S. Battery C
Lieut. Gulian V. Weir

July 2 and 3. Engaged on Cemetery Ridge and in front on left of Second Corps.

Casualties Killed 1 Officer 12 Men Wounded 4 Officers 49 Men Captured or Missing 2 Men Total 68

Pennsylvania Independent Artillery Battery F

The Pennsylvania Independent Artillery Batteries C and F are honored by a dual monument as well as separate monuments to each battery. Batteries C and F served as members of McGilvery’s Brigade of the  Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve. The battery is honored by one dual monument, and monuments to each individual battery.

Monument to Hampton's Pennsylvania Battery C and F. duplicate (20395) duplicate (20394) 1st Pennsylvania Artillery Battery C and F Gettysburg April 2011

Installed between 1889 and 1893.

Location: Peach orchard, south of Wheatfield Road and east of Emmitsburg Road. It indicates the position held by Hampton’s Battery between 5:00 and 6:00 P.M. on July 2, 1863.

Description: Full-length uniformed artilleryman stands on a tapered pedestal and base. The figure holds a long rammer in both hands in a diagonal position, the tip poised above his proper left shoulder. There is an elaborate relief seal on the front of the pedestal. The main feature is a 6′ tall bronze statue of an artilleryman holding a rammer. The base of the monument is made of Westerly granite. The statue was sculpted by Murrary Hamilton.