1st and 2nd Cavalry Units

1st and 2nd United States Cavalry Tablet.

DSC_0007

South Cavalry Field

Erected: 1905.

Location: Located on Emmitsburg Road, west side, at South Cavalry Field at apex of the non-paved road bed.

Description: One of eight cast iron tablets that provide direction to battle positions of units not adjacent to or visible from park avenues and public roads, identify breastworks, and designate the right flank of each of the armies. Similar in appearance to the avenue tablets, the lettering and borders are raised and painted a contrasting color to the black of the painted iron tablets. The tablets are mounted on fluted cast iron posts. Built as directional markers to mark area of 1st, 2nd, 5th & 6th US Cavalry & Battery K, 1st US Artillery during Battle of Gettysburg. A second tablet, located on the other side of the road, denotes the location of the 1st and 2nd US Cavalry detachments.

Advertisements