McGilvery Artillery Avenue Tablet.
Location: Located on south side of Wheatfield Road, near Birney Avenue. Built in 1829, this east-west road connected the Emmitsburg and Taneytown Road. It was used by Union artillery and elements pf the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th Army Corps en route to various points on the battlefield on July 2. The road provided a defined avenue of approach to battle action sites at the Peach Orchard, Stony Hill, Houck’s Ridge, the Wheatfield, and the Emmitsburg Road Ridge during crucial combat situations.
Description: Cast iron avenue tablet designed by E.B. Cope. Mounted on fluted post, overall height is three feet.