The place where Meade took command of the Army of the Potomac is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: 1930. Re-dedicated in 1963.
Location: Himes Ave. near the East entrance to Prospect Hall, Frederick, Maryland.
Description: Created from a boulder taken from Devil’s Den, this monument in Frederick, Maryland outside Prospect Hall denotes where General George Meade took command of the Army of the Potomac on the morning of June 28, 1863. The monument was rededicated on June 28, 1963 — the one hundredth anniversary of Meade’s taking command of the Army of the Potomac.