The Army of the Potomac’s Twelfth Corps field hospital is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: Finished in August 1914. The locations were noted with wooden stakes in 1901.
Location: The Twelfth Corps hospital marker is located on the Hospital Road, 500 feet west of the George Bushman house. Placed near actual site of 12th US Corps Hospitals. Located on east side of Hospital Road at George Bushman house.
The 12th Corps field hospitals were located on the George Bushman Farm. The house still stands, but the barn is modern.
Description: Rough-hewn granite monolith with a bronze tablet shaped like a Maltese cross mounted on slanted face.
Army of the Potomac
The Division Field Hospitals of the Twelfth Corps were located July 2nd at the Bushman House one hundred and sixty yards east. These hospitals cared for about 1200 wounded and were in operation until about August 5th, 1863.
Medical Director 12th Corps Surgeon John McNulty U.S. Volunteers
1st Division Surgeon Artemus Chapel U.S. Volunteers
2nd Division Surgeon John E. Herbst U.S. Volunteers
Medical Officer in charge of 12th Corps Hospitals
Surgeon H. Ernest Goodman, 28th Penna. Infantry.