The Army of the Potomac’s Sixth Corps field hospital is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: Finished in August 1914. The locations were noted with wooden stakes in 1901.
Location: The Sixth Corps hospital marker is located 600 feet north of the John Trostle house, near the Hospital Road on the portion that today is known as Goulden Road, east of Rock Creek. Placed near actual sites of 6th US Corps Field Hospitals. The house and barn still stand.
Description: Rough-hewn granite monolith with a bronze tablet shaped like a Maltese cross mounted on slanted face.
Army of the Potomac
The Division Field Hospitals of the Sixth Corps were established July 2nd near the Trostle House east of Rock Creek and two hundred yards southwest of this point. These Hospitals cared for 315 wounded.
Medial Director 6th Corps Surgeon Charles O’Leary U.S. Volunteers
1st Division Surgeon E.F. Taylor 1st N.J. Infantry
2nd Division Surgeon S.J. Allen 4th Vermont Infantry
3rd Division Surgeon S.A. Holman 7th Massachusetts Infantry
Medical Officer in charge of the Corps Hospitals Surgeon C.N. Chamberlain U.S. Volunteers.