The Army of the Potomac’s Second Corps field hospital is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: Finished in August 1914. The locations were noted with wooden stakes in 1901.
Location: The Second Corps hospital marker is located on the east side Hospital Road, 700 feet southwest from the George Bushman house. The Hospital Road runs south from the Baltimore Pike, crossing Rock Creek below White Run, and continuing northeasterly to the Baltimore Pike at White Church. This hospital was established July 2, 1863.
The Second Corps field hospitals were located at the Jacob Schwartz farm. Over 400 soldiers died at this hospital, including many Confederate soldiers. The house is post-war; the 1817 barn was used extensively for surgery and still stands although it is in very poor condition.
Description: Rough-hewn granite monolith with a bronze tablet shaped like a Maltese cross mounted on slanted face.
Army of the Potomac
The Division Hospitals of the Second Corps were located July 2nd at the Granite School House but were soon removed to near Rock Creek west of the creek and six hundred yards southeast of the Bushman House. They remained there until closed August 7th, 1863. These Hospitals cared for 2200 Union and 952 Confederate wounded.
Medial Director 2nd Corps Surgeon A.N. Dougherty U.S. Volunteers
1st Division Surgeon R.C. Stiles U.S. Volunteers
2nd Division Surgeon J.F. Dyer 10th Massachusetts Infantry
3rd Division Surgeon Isaac Scott 7th West Va. Infantry
Medical Officer in charge of the Corps Hospitals Surgeon Justin Dwinelle 106th Pennsylvania.