The Army of the Potomac’s Fifth Corps field hospital is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: Finished in August 1914. The locations were noted with wooden stakes in 1901.
Location: The Fifth Corps hospital marker is on the Hospital Road, 1,200 feet north of the M. Fiscel house. This portion of the Hospital Road is today known as the Goulden Road.
Hospitals for 5th Corps were housed in a number of buildings from July 2 to August 2, 1863. The Fifth Corps Field Hospitals were located off the Taneytown Road, including at such sites as the Jacob Weikert Farm (where General Weed died and Lieutenant Hazlett was temporarily buried). The Lewis Bushman Farm became the main hospital site for the Fifth Corps. The barn may be original, the house is not. This is the farm where Colonel Vincent was carried after being mortally wounded in the groin in the battle for Little Round Top. He died here on July 7. Colonel George Willard is also reported to have died at this location.
Description: Rough-hewn granite monolith with a bronze tablet shaped like a Maltese cross mounted on slanted face.
Army of the Potomac
The Division Field Hospitals of the Fifth Corps were established July 2nd at the Weikert House and other houses near Little Round Top and along the Taneytown Road. During the night they were removed across Rock Creek and located as follows: 1st Division south of White Run on the Fiscel Farm. 2nd Division 100 rods south of White Run near the Clapsaddle House. 3rd Division one half mile west of Two Taverns and near the Pike. These Hospitals cared for 1400 wounded and remained in operation until August 2nd 1863.
Medical Director 5th Corps Surgeon John J. Milhau U.S. Army
1st Division Surgeon Edward Shippen U.S. Volunteers
2nd Division Assistant Surgeon Clinton Wagner U.S. Army
3rd Division Surgeon Louis W. Read U.S. Volunteers
Medical Officer in charge of the Corps Hospitals Surgeon A.M. Clark U.S. Volunteers.