Taft’s Brigade Monument (AR-2V)

The Artillery Reserve’s Second Volunteer Brigade is honored by a monument.

Taft's Brigade Monument on West Cemetery Hill. Gettysburg September 2009

Location: West side of Baltimore Pike at East Cemetery Hill, Evergreen Cemetery.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
ARTILLERY RESERVE
SECOND VOLUNTEER BRIGADE
Capt. Elijah D. Taft

1st Conn. Heavy Battery B
Capt. Albert F. Brooker
Not engaged

1st Conn. Heavy Battery M
Capt. Franklin A. Pratt
Not engaged

2D Conn. Battery
Capt. John W. Sterling

July 2. Reinforced Third Corps line and late in the day retired and formed line under Lieut. Col. F. McGilvery on left of Second Corps.

5th New York Battery
Capt. Elijah D. Taft

July 2 and 3. Engaged on Cemetery Hill.

Casualties Killed 1 Man Wounded 5 Men Captured or Missing 2 Men Total 8

Advertisements