The Cavalry Corps’ First Brigade of Horse Artillery is honored by a monument.
Location: Located north side of Pleasonton Avenue at Maintenance Building.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
CAVALRY CORPS HORSE ARTILLERY
Capt. James M. Robertson
9th Michigan Battery
Capt. Jabez J. Daniels
July 3. Engaged on Cemetery Ridge south of Pleasonton Avenue subject to the orders of Major Gen. J. Newton.
6th New York Battery
Capt. Joseph W. Martin
2D U. S. Batteries B and L
Lieut. Edward Heaton
2D U. S. Battery M
Lieut. A. C. M. Pennington Jr.
July 3. With the Cavalry on the right.
4th U. S. Battery E
Lieut. Samuel S. Elder
July 3. With First Brigade Third Division on left.
Casualties Killed 2 Men Wounded 1 Officer 5 Men Total 8