The Cavalry Corps’ First Division’s Third (Reserve) Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: Located at triangular plot of South Cavalry Field, Emmitsburg Road.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
CAVALRY CORPS FIRST DIVISION
Brig. Gen. Wesley Merritt
1st 2D 5th 6th United States Cavalry
July 1. Engaged in picketing and patrolling the roads through the mountains detachments scouting the country about Hagerstown Cavetown and other points.
July 2. Marched to Emmitsburg Md.
July 3. At noon marched four miles on the road to Gettysburg met Confederate detachments and for more than a mile drove them from stone fences barricades and other positions being engaged four hours and until the operations were brought to a close by heavy rain. The 6th United States under Major S. H. Starr was detached and marched towards Fairfield to intercept a Confederate wagon train supposed to be in that vicinity but encountered a superior force and was compelled to fall back with heavy loss.
Casualties Killed 1 Officer 27 Men Wounded 12 Officers 104 Men Captured or Missing 6 Officers 268 Men Total 418