The Artillery Reserve’s First Regular Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: Located west side of Hancock Avenue near Pennsylvania Memorial.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIRST REGULAR BRIGADE
Capt. Dunbar R. Ransom
1st U. S. Battery H
Lieut. Chandler P. Eakin Lieut. Philip D. Mason
July 2. And 3. Engaged on Cemetery Hill.
3D U. S. Batteries F and K
Lieut. John G. Turnbull
July 2. Engaged on Emmitsburg Road on right of the Smith House.
July 3. On and near Cemetery Ridge.
4th U. S. Battery C
Lieut. Evan Thomas
July 2 and 3. Engaged on Cemetery Ridge on left of Second Corps.
5th U. S. Battery C
Lieut. Gulian V. Weir
July 2 and 3. Engaged on Cemetery Ridge and in front on left of Second Corps.
Casualties Killed 1 Officer 12 Men Wounded 4 Officers 49 Men Captured or Missing 2 Men Total 68