McGilvery’s Brigade Monument (AR-1V) (Plum Run Line)

The Artillery Reserve’s First Volunteer Brigade is honored by two monuments.

McGilvery's Brigade Gettysburg December 2011

Location: South Hancock Avenue. Located West side of Hancock Avenue near United States Avenue.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
ARTILLERY RESERVE
FIRST VOLUNTEER BRIGADE
Lieut. Col. Freeman McGilvery

5th Mass. Battery E (10th New York Attached)
Capt. Charles A. Phillips

July 2. Engaged on Third Corps line on the Wheatfield Road.

9th Mass. Battery
Capt. John Bigelow Lieut. Richard S. Milton

July 2. Engaged on Third Corps line on the Wheatfield Road.

July 3. In Ziegler’s Grove.

15th New York Battery
Capt. Patrick Hart

July 2. Engaged on Third Corps line on the Wheatfield Road.

July 3. On Second Corps line south of Pleasonton Avenue.

Penna. Batteries C and F
Capt. James Thompson

July 2. Engaged in Peach Orchard.

July 3. On line with Battery K 4th U. S. on right and Hart’s Battery on left.

Casualties Killed 1 Officer 16 Men Wounded 10 Officers 61 Men Captured or Missing 5 Men Total 93

Advertisements