The Artillery Reserve’s First Volunteer Brigade is honored by two monuments.
Location: North side of Wheatfield Road at Excelsior Field.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIRST VOLUNTEER BRIGADE
Lieut. Col. Freeman McGilvery
5th Mass. Battery E
(10th New York Battery Attached)
Capt. Charles Phillips
9th Mass. Battery
Capt. John Bigelow Lieut. Richard S. Milton
15th NewYork Battery
Capt. Patrick Hart
Batteries C and F Penna.
Capt. James Thompson
July 2. Went into action at 3.30 P. M. on this road Batteries C and F Penna. on the right in the Peach Orchard line facing west. About 5 P. M. opened and repulsed a heavy column of infantry charging the Brigade. About 6 P. M. the Confederates gained position on the left and the infantry fell back leaving the artillery without support. Four batteries fell back 250 yards and renewed their fire. Battery B 1st New Jersey and 15th New York Battery retired from the field. The advanced line of the 3rd Corps having been abandoned the Artillery Brigade took up a new position 400 yards in the rear and opened on the enemy with canister and at 8 P. M. retired to the battle line of the army.