This is one of ten tablets which describe the movements of the Army of Northern Virginia.
Location: West Confederate Avenue near the Schultz House.
Description: Erected 1901. One of ten rough hewn granite bases with bronze plaque affixed to the front that explain the movements of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia during the Gettysburg Campaign. In storage for many years, they were replaced along Confederate Avenue in 2007.
Headquarters of the Army with Hood’s Division Longstreet’s Corps crossed the Potomac at Williamsport Md. and marched to Greencastle Penna. McLaw’s Division Longstreet’s Corps crossed the river and encamped near Williamsport. Pickett’s Division Longstreet’s Corps with the Reserve Artillery marched through Hagerstown to Greencastle.
Rodes’s and Johnson’s Division Ewell’s Corps with Jenkins’s Cavalry Brigade were on the road from Chambersburg to Carlisle Penna. Early’s Division Ewell’s Corps with French’s 17th Virginia Cavalry marched from Greenwood via Cashtown to Mummasburg. The Advance Cavalry had a skirmish with the 26th Pennsylvania Militia Infantry. Gordon’s Brigade Early’s Division marched through Gettysburg halting a short time in the town. Anderson’s Division Hill’s Corps marched from Hagerstown and encamped two miles north of Greencastle. Hampton’s Chambliss’s and Fitz Lee’s Brigades Stuart’s Cavalry Division marched from Buckland via Brentsville to near Wolf Run Shoals on the Occoquan River, Virginia.
Robertson’s and Jones’s Brigades of Stuarts’s Cavalry Division guarding gaps in lower Blue Ridge.