The Cavalry Corps’ Second Division’s Third Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: East Cavalry Field south side of Gregg Avenue.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
CAVALRY CORPS SECOND DIVISION
Col. J. Irvin Gregg
1st Maine (10 Cos.) 10th New York
4th 16th Pennsylvania Cavalry
July 2. Arrived and took position on Hanover Road 2 miles from Gettysburg in proximity to Lieut. Gen. Ewell’s Corps about 11 A. M. Two regiments of infantry from Eleventh Corps were in front as skirmishers. They were withdrawn about 3 P. M. and 10th New York deployed in their place. Confederate sharpshooters from hill and woods in front were annoying. Fifty dismounted men were ordered to drive them back but were themselves met by a superior force until checked and forced back by First Brigade.
July 3. Took position in morning on Baltimore Pike and moved to the right near Hanover Road. Not engaged in Cavalry fight except one section of Batteries E & G 1st U. S. Lieut. J. Chester. Ordered to the left to meet a threatened attack.
July 4. Made a reconnaissance to Hunterstown and forced in Confederate pickets.
Casualties Killed 6 Men Wounded 12 Men Captured or Missing 1 Officer 2 Men Total 21