Gamble’s Brigade Monument (C-1-1)

The Cavalry Corps’  First Division’s First Brigade is honored by a monument.

Gamble's Brigade Gettysburg February 2009

Location: East side of South Reynolds Avenue, South of Chambersburg Pike.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
CAVALRY CORPS FIRST DIVISION
FIRST BRIGADE
Col. William Gamble
8th, 12th Illinois (4 Cos.) 3rd Indiana
(6 Cos.) 8th New York Cavalry

June 30. Started early for Gettysburg and encountered two Mississippi regiments and a section of artillery and after a short skirmish proceeded to Gettysburg when a detachment of Major Gen. Heth’s Division about to enter the town withdrew towards Cashtown leaving pickets four and a half miles from Gettysburg.

July 1. Between 8 and 9 A. M. Confederates advanced in force from Cashtown. The Brigade dismounted and with Battery A 2D U. S. Artillery held its position for more than two hours against infantry and artillery in superior numbers and until Major Gen. J. F. Reynolds arrived with First Corps after which the Brigade was engaged on the left of the infantry On retiring to the Cemetery Hill the Brigade took position left of the town with Second Brigade and later in front of Little Round Top.

July 2. Relieved by Third Corps and marched to Taneytown en route to Westminster.

Casualties Killed 1 Officer 12 Men Wounded 6 Officers 52 Men Captured or Missing 28 Men Total 99

 

Advertisements