Fitzhugh’s Brigade Monument (AR-4V)

The Artillery Reserve’s Fourth Volunteer Brigade is honored by a monument.

Fitzhugh's Brigade Monument.  Gettysburg February 2013

Location: Located east side of Hancock Avenue near The Angle.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
ARTILLERY RESERVE
FOURTH VOLUNTEER BRIGADE
Capt. Robert H. Fitzhugh

6th Maine Battery F
Lieut. Edwin B. Dow

July 2 and 3. With First Volunteer Artillery Brigade near left of Second Corps line.

Maryland Battery A
Capt. James H. Rigby

July 2 and 3. Engaged on Powers Hill.

1st New Jersey Battery
Lieut. Augustin N. Parsons

July 3. Engaged on line of Second Division Second Corps.

1st New York Battery G
Capt. Nelson Ames

July 2. Engaged in Peach Orchard.

July 3. Engaged on left of Second Corps line.

1st New York Battery K (11th New York Attached)
Capt. Robert H. Fitzhugh

July 3. Engaged on Second Corps line.

Casualties Killed 2 Men Wounded 34 Men Total 36

Advertisements