The Cavalry Corps’ First Division’s Second Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: East side of Buford Avenue, South of Mummasburg Road.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
CAVALRY CORPS FIRST DIVISION
Col. Thomas C. Devin
6th 9th NewYork 17th Pennsylvania
3D (2 Cos.) West Virginia Cavalry
June 30. Started early for Gettysburg and encountered two Mississippi Regiments and a section of artillery and after a short skirmish proceeded to Gettysburg arriving there as a detachment of Major Gen. Heth’s Division was about to enter the town but withdrew towards Cashtown leaving pickets four and a half miles from Gettysburg.
July 1. Between 8 and 9 A. M. the Confederates advanced in force from Cashtown. The Brigade Dismounted and with Battery A 2D U. S. held its position for more than two hours against infantry and artillery in superior numbers until arrival of Eleventh Corps and then held the approach by the York Pike. Later ordered to the Emmitsburg Road and formed line with right flank resting on the town. Bivouacked for the night in front of Little Round Top.
July 2. Relieved by Third Corps and marched to Taneytown en route to Westminster.
Casualties Killed 2 Men Wounded 3 Men Captured or Missing 23 Men Total 28