The Twelfth Corps’ Second Division’s First Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: North Slocum Avenue, Culp’s Hill.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
TWELFTH CORPS SECOND DIVISION
Col. Charles Candy
5th 7th 66th Ohio
28th 147th Pennsylvania Infantry
July 1. Arrived at 5 P. M. and took position on the left of Third Brigade between the First Corps and the Round Tops. The 5th Ohio and 147th Penna. occupied Little Round Top during the night as skirmishers.
July 2. Moved to Culp’s Hill in the morning and took position as a reserve in rear of Third Brigade. At 7 P. M. moved to the rear on Baltimore Pike across Rock Creek. Returned at midnight and formed on the right of Third Brigade perpendicular to its line.
July 3. At daylight the artillery opened on the Confederate line. The 147th Penna. advanced and captured a stone wall. The 5th Ohio held its position on the right of the Brigade under a heavy fire. The other regiments were in reserve and at intervals relieved the regiments of Second and Third Brigades. The 66th Ohio advanced beyond the breastworks and poured an enfilading fire on the Confederates occupying the works on the right. At 10.30 A. M. Major Gen. Johnson’s forces were forced from the works. Skirmishing continued all day.
Casualties Killed 4 Officers 14 Men Wounded 5 Officers 114 Men Captured or Missing 2 Men Total 139