The Sixth Corps’ Second Division’s Second Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: North side of Wright Avenue, southeast of Big Round Top.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SIXTH CORPS SECOND DIVISION
Col. Lewis A. Grant
2D 3D 4th 5th 6th Vermont Infantry
July 2. Arrived about 5 P. M. after a march of 33 miles from Manchester Md. Moved to the left and at dark to the extreme left with one Regiment the 5th Vermont on picket.
July 3. The Brigade advanced a short distance and took position with its right on east slope of Round Top its left on the Taneytown Road and remained until the close of the battle under no fire except that from artillery.
Casualties Wounded 1 Man