The Sixth Corps’ First Division’s First Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: Located east side of Sedgwick Avenue, north end, at G. Wiekert Farm.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SIXTH CORPS FIRST DIVISION
Brig. Gen. Alfred T A. Torbert
1st 2D 15th New Jersey Infantry
July 2. Arrived at 4 P. M. from Manchester Md. A distance by the route taken of about 35 miles having halted an hour only. After sunset moved to the east slope of the north side of Little Round Top and arriving there at dark was held in reserve.
July 3. Moved to a position southeast of the Weikert House and remained until the close of the battle. Not engaged except on the skirmish line.
Casualties Wounded 11 Men