The Sixth Corps’ Artillery Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: Located east side of Sedgwick Avenue, east of the George Weikert Farm.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Col. Charles H. Tompkins
Mass. 1st Battery A Six 12 Pounders
Capt. William H. McCartney
New York 1st Battery Six 3 lnch Rifles
Capt. Andrew Cowan
New York 3D Battery Six 10 Pounders
Capt. William A. Harn
1st Rhode Island Battery C Six 3 lnch Rifles
Capt. Richard Waterman
1st Rhode Island Battery G Six 10 Pounder Parrotts
Capt. George W. Adams
2D U. S. Battery D Six 12 Pounders
Lieut. Edward B. Williston
2D U. S. Battery G Six 12 Pounders
Lieut. John H. Butler
5th U. S. Battery F Six 10 Pounder Parrotts
Lieut. Leonard Martin
July 2. Arrived in the afternoon and evening from Manchester Md. and the artillery was placed under the orders of Brig. Gen. H. J. Hunt Chief of Artillery of the Army
July 3. The batteries were placed in reserve on different portions of the field so as to be available but with exception of 1st New York Battery were not actively engaged.