The Sixth Corps’ Third Division’s First Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: Located on Slocum Avenue, south end.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SIXTH CORPS THIRD DIVISION
Brig. Gen. Alexander Shaler
65th 67th 122D NewYork
23D 82D Pennsylvania Infantry
July 2. Arrived about 2 P. M. from Manchester Md. and late in the day moved to the northeast slope of Little Round Top and held in reserve bivouacking for the night near Taneytown Road in rear of Second Brigade.
July 3. Ordered to the left and at 8 A. M. to the right to the support of Second Division Twelfth Corps. Took position in rear of woods on Culp’s Hill beyond which action was progressing and was engaged under command of Brig. Gen. J. W. Geary from 9 until 11 A. M. when the original line of the Twelfth Corps was regained. At 3 P. M. returned and under terrific fire of artillery was ordered by Major Gen. G. G. Meade to remain in rear of Third Corps and to report to Major Gen. J. Newton. At 7 P. M. moved half a mile to the right in reserve and remained during the night. Rejoined the Division the next morning.
Casualties Killed 1 Officer 14 Men Wounded 3 Officers 53 Men Captured or Missing 3 Men Total 74