The Sixth Corps’ First Division’s Third Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: North side of Howe Avenue, southeast of Big Round Top.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SIXTH CORPS FIRST DIVISION
Brig. Gen. David A. Russell
6thMaine 49th(4Cos.) 119th Pennsylvania
5th Wisconsin Infantry
July 2. Arrived about 4 P. M. from Manchester Md. and moved to the east slope of the northern side of Little Round Top. Arriving at dark and held in reserve until morning.
July 3. Moved to the extreme left and on the east slope of Round Top and remained until late in the afternoon then went into position on the left centre in support of Fifth Corps. Not engaged.
Casualties Wounded 2 Men