The Sixth Corps’ Second Division’s Third Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: Located on north side of Neill Avenue.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SIXTH CORPS SECOND DIVISION
Brig. Gen. Thomas H. Neill
7th Maine (6 Cos.) 43D 49th 77th New York
61st Pennsylvania Infantry
July 2. Arrived after a march of 33 miles from Manchester Md. and about 6 P. M. was detached from the Corps and ordered by Major Gen. G. G. Meade to hold Powers Hill. Later was ordered by Major Gen. H. W. Slocum to support the front line but at midnight was ordered to Powers Hill.
July 3. The Brigade by order of Major Gen. Slocum crossed Rock Creek and took position on the extreme right of the Army making connection with the Cavalry pickets and encountered and checked the advancing Confederate sharpshooters and skirmishers and remained until the close of the battle.
Casualties Killed 1 Officer 1 Man Wounded 11 Men Captured or Missing 2 Men Total 15