Eustis’ Brigade Monument (6-3-2)

The Sixth Corps’ Third Division’s Second Brigade is honored by a monument.

Monument to Eustis Brigade. duplicate (20342) duplicate (20341) Gettysburg April 2011

Location: East side of Sedgwick Avenue near its south end, north of Little Round Top.

Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.

Inscription:

ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SIXTH CORPS THIRD DIVISION
SECOND BRIGADE
Col. Henry L. Eustis
7th 10th 37th Massachusetts
2D Rhode Island Infantry

July 2. Arrived about 2 P. M. from Manchester Md. and late in the day moved to the northeast slope of Little Round Top and held in reserve. Bivouacked for the night with First Brigade in the rear.

July 3. Moved to the right centre and reported to Major Gen. J. Newton and was held in reserve during the battle. Not engaged but subject to artillery fire.

Casualties Killed 3 Men Wounded 2 Officers 39 Men Captured or Missing 25 Men Total 69

Advertisements