The Eleventh Corps’ First Division’s Second Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: Located on east section of Howard Avenue at Barlow’s Knoll.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
ELEVENTH CORPS FIRST DIVISION
Brig. Gen. Adelbert Ames
Col. Andrew L. Harris
17th Conn. 25th 75th 107th Ohio Infantry
July 1. Arrived about noon and advanced along the Harrisburg road. Four companies of the 17th Conn. advanced as skirmishers across Rock Creek to the Bender House. The rest of the Brigade taking position on Barlow Knoll at left of First Brigade. Was hotly engaged until 4 P. M. when being enfiladed by artillery and flanked by superior numbers the Brigade with the Division was forced to retire and retreated through the town to Cemetery Hill to a position along a stone wall at right angles to the Baltimore Pike facing town.
July 2. Remained under a hot sharpshooter fire from houses in town until sunset when Brig. Gen. Hays’s Brigade charged penetrating the line left open by the removal of 17th Conn. to the right shortly before and reached the batteries on the hill where after a hand to hand conflict the attack was repulsed with heavy loss including the colors of the 8th Louisiana captured by 107th Ohio.
July 3. No other engagement than sharp skirmishing.
Casualties Killed 5 Officers 63 Men Wounded 24 Officers 342 Men Captured or Missing 9 Officers 335 Men Total 778