The Fifth Corps’ First Division’s First Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: Sickles Avenue at the Loop. Monument faces west.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIFTH CORPS FIRST DIVISION
Col. William S. Tilton
18th 22D Massachusetts 1st Michigan
118th Pennsylvania Infantry
July 2. In position in column with the Division and Corps on the Baltimore Pike near Rock Creek until after 4 P. M. then moved with the Division left in front to the support of Third Corps line the Third Brigade having been detached to occupy Little Round Top. The Brigade preceded by Second Brigade crossed Plum Run and the Wheatfield and went into position on the high ground on the edge of woods facing westerly and southerly toward the Rose House Second Brigade on the left. The Brigade was sharply attacked by Brig. Gen. Kershaw’s Brigade and in compliance with orders from Brig. Gen. J. Barnes it retired to the rear and right to the woods across the Wheatfield Road and later to a line extending northerly from Little Round Top.
July 3. Relieved Third Brigade on Little Round Top.
July 4. Remained in position until close of battle except a reconnaissance in front.
Casualties Killed 2 Officers 10 Men Wounded 12 Officers 90 Men Captured or Missing 11 Men Total 125