The First Corps’ Third Division’s Second Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: East side of Stone Avenue just South of Chambersburg Pike.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIRST CORPS THIRD DIVISION
Col. Roy Stone Col. Langhorne Wister
Col. Edmund L. Dana
143D 149th 150th Pennsylvania Infantry
July 1. Arrived and went into position at McPherson buildings between Reynolds Woods and the Railroad Cut and was subjected to a heavy front and enfilading artillery fire from the right. Repulsed repeated attacks of Brig. Daniel’s Brigade Major Gen. Rodes’s Division from the right as well as front attacks until pressed on both flanks and in front by superior numbers. It retired to Seminary Ridge and held temporary breast works there until the Corps retired before overwhelming numbers to Cemetery Hill when the Brigade with the Division took position at the left of the cemetery on and near the Taneytown Road.
July 2. Late in the afternoon moved to left and took position previously occupied by First Division Second Corps.
July 3. Remained in the same position under the heavy artillery fire in the afternoon.
The strength of the Brigade July 1st 1315
Casualties Killed 4 Officers 105 Men Wounded 35 Officers 430 Men Captured or Missing 8 Officers 271 Men Total 853