The Second Corps’ First Division’s Fourth Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: Located on east side of Brooke Avenue in Rose Grove.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SECOND CORPS FIRST DIVISION
Col. John R. Brooke
27th Connecticut (2 Cos.)
2D Delaware 64th NewYork
53D 145th (7 Cos.) Pennsylvania Infantry
July 2. Arrived early in the morning took position on the line from Cemetery Hill to Round Top and was the right Brigade of Division. Between 5 and 6 P. M. went with Division to Wheatfield and advanced in reserve until the Division had forced back the Confederates to the further end when the Brigade advanced on the left of Third Brigade across a marsh to crest of a wooded hill. The Union line along the Emmitsburg Road having soon thereafter been forced back by Brig. Gen. Semmes’ Brig. Gen. Kershaw’s and Brig. Gen. Wofford’s Brigades which advanced in front and on the left flank the Brigade retired with the Division and resumed its former place in Corps line.
July 3. Constructed entrenchments and remained in former position until the close of the battle.
Casualties Killed 8 Officers 46 Men Wounded 38 Officers 246 Men Captured or Missing 51 Men Total 389