The First Corps’ Third Division’s First Brigade is honored by a monument.
Location: East side of South Reynolds Avenue, North of Fairfield Road.
Description: Erected 1912. One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons. The pedestal consists of sea-green granite with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
FIRST CORPS THIRD DIVISION
Col. Chapman Biddle
Brig. Gen. Thomas A. Rowley
80th New York 121st 142D 151st Penna. Infantry
July 1. Arrived and went into position about 11. 30 A. M. left of Reynolds’s Woods. The 151st Penna. having been sent to reinforce Second Brigade on right of Reynolds’s Woods. The remaining regiments with Battery B 1st Penna. formed line facing west and held this position until near 4 P. M. when being pressed with superior numbers in front and outflanked on the left the Brigade retired to Seminary Ridge. On the withdrawal of the Corps the Brigade retired to Cemetery Hill and formed on the left along Taneytown Road and remained there until noon the next day.
July 2. Between 5 and 6 P. M. the Brigade was moved to the left centre from which First Division Second Corps had been taken to support Third Corps.
July 3. Remained in the same position and assisted in repelling Longstreet’s assault in the afternoon taking many prisoners. At 6 P. M. withdrew to former position on Taneytown Road.
Casualties Killed 8 Officers 103 Men Wounded 41 Officers 516 Men Captured or Missing 8 Officers 222 Men Total 898