Wilcox’s Brigade Advanced Position Tablet

Wilcox’s Brigade of R.H. Anderson’s Division of A.P. Hill’s Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument and an advanced position tablet.

wilcox's brigade Gettysburg August 2011

Dedicated: 1906.

Location: Originally located at the Emmitsburg Road, opposite Klingel Farm buildings. In 1993, the tablet was moved from Emmitsburg Road to West side of Sickles Avenue at the Klingel Farm after it was hit by an automobile for third time in ten years.

Description: Cast iron tablet mounted on a fluted cast iron post denotes advanced position of the brigade during the battle. Inscription is painted in a contrasting color.

Inscription:

ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
HILL’S CORPS ANDERSON’S DIVISION
WILCOX’S BRIGADE
8th 9th 10th 11th 14th Alabama Infantry

July 2. Formed line in forenoon the 10th and 11th Regiments taking position on the right after a severe skirmish with a Union outpost. Advanced at 6 P. M. and broke the Union line on Emmitsburg Road capturing two guns and pursuing rapidly took many prisoners and six guns. At Plum Run was met by a heavy fire of artillery and infantry and being unsupported after severe loss fell back without being able to bring off the captured guns.

Advertisements