Thomas’ Brigade of Pender’s Division of A.P. Hill’s Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Location: West side of West Confederate Avenue at McMillan Woods.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
HILL’S CORPS PENDER’S DIVISION
14th 35th 45th 49th Georgia Infantry
July 1. In reserve north of Chambersburg Pike on left of the Division. At sunset moved to position in McMillan’s Woods.
July 2. On duty in support of artillery. At 10 P. M. advancing took position in Long Lane with left flank in touch with McGowan’s Brigade and the right near the Bliss House and Barn.
July 3. Engaged most of the day in severe skirmishing and exposed to a heavy fire of artillery. After dark retired to this Ridge.
Present about 1200 Killed 34 Wounded 179 Missing 57 Total 270