Posey’s Brigade of R.H. Anderson’s Division of A.P. Hill’s Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Dedicated: December 19, 1910.
Location: West side of West Confederate Avenue, across from Virginia Monument just north of Spangler Woods.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
HILL’S CORPS ANDERSON’S DIVISION
12th 16th 19th 48th Mississippi Infantry
July 2. Arrived and took position here in the morning. Through some misunderstanding of orders instead of the Brigade advancing in compact ranks in support of the troops on its right in their assault on the Union lines the regiments were ordered forward at different times. Deployed as skirmishers and fighting in detachments they pushed back the Union outposts and drove some artillerists for awhile from their guns but did not join in the attack upon the Union position on Cemetery Ridge.
July 3. Was held in reserve here supporting artillery in its front.
Present 1150 Killed 12 Wounded 71 Total 83