Pettigrew’s Brigade of Heth’s Division of A.P. Hill’s Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Location: West side of West Confederate Avenue, South of McMillan Woods.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
HILLS CORPS HETH’S DIVISION
11th 26th 47th 52nd North Carolina Infantry
July 1. Crossing Willoughby Run at 2 P. M. met the 1st Brigade 1st Division First Corps in Reynolds Woods and drove it back after a bloody struggle. Advancing to the summit of the ridge encountered and broke a second Union line and was then relieved by troops of Pender’s Division.
July 2. Lay in woods west of the Run. In evening took position near here.
July 3. In Longstreet’s assault the Brigade occupied the right center of the Division and the course of the charge brought it in front of the high stone wall north of the Angle and 80 yards farther east, it advanced very nearly to that wall. A few reached it but were captured. The skeleton regiments retired led by Lieutenants and the Brigade by a Major the only field officer left.
July 4. After night withdrew and began the march to Hagerstown.
Present on the first day about 2000 Killed 190 Wounded 915 Missing about 300 Total 1405