Perrin’s Brigade of Pender’s Division of A.P. Hill’s Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia is honored by a monument.
Location: West side of West Confederate Avenue, North of McMillan Woods.
Description: One of 64 Confederate brigade monuments. Monolith consisting of polished smooth red Maine granite pedestal with a circular base. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit. Erected by the U.S. War Department and designed by E.B. Cope. They indicate the general location of the centers of the various Confederate brigades and artillery battalions during several phases of the battle. Bronze from melted Civil War cannons was used to create many of the inscription tablets.
C. S. A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
HILL’S CORPS PENDER’S DIVISION
1st Rifles 12th 13th 14th Regiments and 1st Provisional South
July 1. Crossed Willoughby Run about 3.30 P. M. with its left in Reynolds Woods and advancing relieved Heth’s line. Took a prominent part in the struggle by which the Union forces were dislodged from Seminary Ridge and pursuing them into town captured many prisoners. The Rifle Regiment was on duty as train guard and not in the battle of this day.
July 2. Supported artillery south of Fairfield Road. At 6 P. M. advanced a battalion of Sharpshooters which skirmished with Union outposts until dark. At 10 P. M. took position on Ramseur’s right in the Long Lane leading from the town to the Bliss House and Barn.
July 3. In the same position and constantly engaged in skirmishing.
July 4. After night withdrew and began the march to Hagerstown.
Present about 1600 Killed 100 Wounded 477 Total 577